VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a long drive from Clearwater, FL to Sacramento, CA. I wanted to protect the front of the car from rock chips and road grime. So I bought a can of this stuff for $8.

The directions say to start off with a clean car, so I washed and waxed her up. Unfortunately I saw how messed up the front of the car is already.
The instructions state that the product should not be used for more than three days. It sprays right off, leaving no residue.
I taped off the front of the car, the head lights and fog lights.

I started spraying the front of the car and noticed that it was going on really light holding the can at the recommended 8"-10". I figured that I'd need a few coats. I soon realized that one can would not give me the coating that the picture on the can would. It ended looking like this:

You can see the crappy coverage due to me running out of the product. It's a really light coat. I tried to cover the part that was getting the brunt of the damage. As I peeled off the tape from the headlights I accidently rubbed my finger on the painted part and it came right off. After 700 miles, some smashed bugs were taking the product off.
My recommendation is to get 2 cans of this and put on a thick coat. The video in the link below looks great, but I think they had some pros spray it on.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shield.html
This how the "bra" looked like after getting to Dallas:

Bugs did this:

This is how soft it is. I dragged my finger thru it and this happened:

This stuff is not for protection against chipping paint from rocks. Bugs did wash off pretty easily though. It took about $4 worth of quarters in the wash stalls to remove it all. The pressure washer nozzle was about 4" from the hood and it came off somewhat easily. Will I use it again? No.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Re: Duplicolor Shield review. (bastion72)

Posted from thier site
Shield, from Dupli-Color, provides temporary spray-on protection for your vehicle where bugs and road grime can do damage.
No mention that it will protect against rock chips.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I appreciate the write up but that seems like an utterly worthless product. As stated it doesn't do squat for rocks and as a bug and tar protectant I'd much rather clean off what gets stuck to the front end with a high quality bug and tar remover.
I can see why you won't be using it again.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: Duplicolor Shield review. (Jesstzn)

The stuff absolutely sucks. Unless they've changed the formulation, it's merely grease pen in a can. I had an oily residue on my paint for weeks from it.
Don't use your good wash mitts or towels anywhere near this stuff unless you're ready to retire them.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Duplicolor Shield review. (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
The stuff absolutely sucks. Unless they've changed the formulation, it's merely grease pen in a can. I had an oily residue on my paint for weeks from it.
Don't use your good wash mitts or towels anywhere near this stuff unless you're ready to retire them.

Yeah, it was oily. I thought it would dry to a crust, like Magic Shell on ice cream.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Re: (VWn00b)

I used that stuff on the way back home from H20 last year, I used the clear one...It does protect the front end. Heavy rocks nnnope, but light little rocks i can see it protecting a bit. Bugs 100% protection...
I took it to a self car wash and most of it came off but it left an oily like residue whereve i sprayed it. Ill stick to painters tape for long drives http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts