VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
46,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Frank Beard and Billy Gibbons wrote:

We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX. We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top'. We will forever be connected to that "Blues Shuffle in C.”

You will be missed greatly, amigo.

Frank & Billy

Post 'em up and pour one out. I'll start with CadZZilla.

·
Registered
2019 Arteon, 2016 .:R, 1991 Mazda B2600i
2,179 Posts
Damn that sucks.

Think I'll jam some ZZ while washing the golf....

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
That's very sad to hear. I was just watching their documentary. They have such a unique sound.

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,561 Posts

Kopperhead, one of Billy's customs. And another Ford:

And Slampala:

·
Registered
46,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's very sad to hear. I was just watching their documentary. They have such a unique sound.
Their roots are clearly in the blues, but while they're traditional rockin' blues, you can never mistake their sound for anyone else.

Here's Billy's Beetle.

It has cool flip up headlights from a C4 Corvette. I normally don’t like that kind of thing on a Bug, but the execution was perfect and they look really good on this car.

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,958 Posts
Their roots are clearly in the blues, but while they're traditional rockin' blues, you can never mistake their sound for anyone else.

Here's Billy's Beetle.

View attachment 107657

It has cool flip up headlights from a C4 Corvette. I normally don’t like that kind of thing on a Bug, but the execution was perfect and they look really good on this car.
lol I was going to say, I love me some ZZ Top but I don't know about "unique" and I had this specific conversation 30 minutes ago with a friend and I pointed out to him a few insanely popular rock bands that drew on the same kind of southern blues like Creedence and Steppenwolf. It was kind of a sound at the time. Almost to a fault, like Creedence Clearwater Revival aren't from friggin Louisiana, they're from California!

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Drove my parents crazy back in the 80s playing zz top ... had to receive the torch from my brother that drove them crazy playing zz top in the 70s :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
S2000, E320
7,643 Posts
lol I was going to say, I love me some ZZ Top but I don't know about "unique" and I had this specific conversation 30 minutes ago with a friend and I pointed out to him a few insanely popular rock bands that drew on the same kind of southern blues like Creedence and Steppenwolf. It was kind of a sound at the time. Almost to a fault, like Creedence Clearwater Revival aren't from friggin Louisiana, they're from California!
Steppenwolf is way more psych than ZZ or CCR, and CCR isn't nearly as blues based as ZZ. No one with a passing interest in rock would mix those three up.

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,958 Posts
Steppenwolf is way more psych than ZZ or CCR, and CCR isn't nearly as blues based as ZZ. No one with a passing interest in rock would mix those three up.
Sorry, but I have more than a passing interest in rock and I see these 3 bands as extremely similar even though they're completely different. It's a folksy sub-section that drew on largely southern influences that pretty much only existed (in popular white people form) from the 60s through the 80s. Frankly I could further link more bands and the evolution of this when I say The Doors which would probably make your head 'splode. These evolutions, what you heard, what became popular were all tightly controlled by the industry and purposefully selected for radio.

These bands are like history in that they echo, not repeat. On a very real and intentional level these bands are all echoes of each other until the industry thought they could milk the gag no more.

You can see what I'm talking about a little more granularly if you look at Motown/Detroit also in the 60s and 70s. Clearly all of those acts are just as different from each other as the Doors are from ZZ Top but they also all came from the same general geographical music scene.

No band is exactly alike and we all draw our own subjective groupings like I can't see very many similarities between Pink Floyd and Radiohead (I love both) but I know plenty of people who are deep into music who constantly make the comparison.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
So what? Led Zeppelin was from was from England and was heavily influenced by southern Blues. In fact, you can make a pretty good argument that all rock music was a direct descendent of early 20th century blues music. Many of Elvis' most famous tracks were actually covers of blues music. "You ain't nothing but a hound dog" was originally sang by "Big Mama Thorton", a Texas R&B singer.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
So what? Led Zeppelin was from was from England and was heavily influenced by southern Blues. In fact, you can make a pretty good argument that all rock music was a direct descendent of early 20th century blues music. Many of Elvis' most famous tracks were actually covers of blues music. "You ain't nothing but a hound dog" was originally sang by "Big Mama Thorton", a Texas R&B singer.
Don't forget the Rolling Stones' love of Chicago blues and all the Lead Belly songs that have been covered over the years, just to name a few examples.

I'm not really sure what we're arguing about. Just because there's lots of folk and blues-inspired rock doesn't change the fact that Billy Gibbons' guitar playing style and vocals give ZZ Top a distinct, recognizable sound even if the technical elements aren't "unique".

1 - 20 of 40 Posts