VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im buying a forge splitter and i was wondering if i could mount it to say the firewall? or does the recirculating dump portion have to go directly into TIP.. i know they have a relocation kit to put it into the tb hose.. but can it be dumped into a hose, then that hose goes into the tip? and would it affect performance or operation if mounted this way?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
the reason people relocate it to the TB hose is because with that location it is AFTER the intercooler. if you're going to relocate your DV/splitter, then the TB hose is the only thing worthwhile, otherwise just stick it in the stock location. don't overcomplicate things.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Re: (ypsetihw)

Curious as to the reasoning behind putting the DV post IC?
NVM, you answered in another post http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
ypsetihw-"By relocating the valve in this way there are two benefits. Firstly, due to operating in lower temperatures the longevity of the valve is increased. Secondly, after relocation, the air that is recirculated back into the intake tract to the turbo will be cooler. Cooler air has a greater density. The greater the density of the charge mix in the cylinder the more power generated on combustion."

Modified by fobyulous at 6:53 AM 4-30-2010

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i know the resoning behind putting it in the tb hose for "performance" but i was looking more for visual appeal instead of "hiding" it in the middle of pipes and hoses.. so really what your saying is that it doesn't really matter where you mount it as long as all the hoses are properly connected? i know by placing it outside of it's original location it would create a lag so to speak on the air getting diverted back into the system. would that 'lag' create any problems or would it be so minimal that it doesn't matter..

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
just remember, the longer the boost and vacuum connections to the DV, the more volume of air that has to be compressed, and you will experience a touch more lag. the lag would be pretty minimal as long as you put the hoses in the right places, but may be noticeable.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Re: (timjw_82)

I don't have any actual knowledge about what you asked above, but I really can't see it being a problem if you were to run a reasonable length of hose to locate your DV on the firewall. If you ran like 25 ft of hose and mounted your DV in your trunk or something ridiculous, I could see the delay in air possibly causing some lag.
Again, I am talking with very little knowledge on the topic, but just thinking logically. If anyone has input on this please feel free to share.
also, I dont exactly understand why you want to do this? just to clean up the bay? Adding more hoses would create more clutter and joints for possible vac leaks.

Modified by fobyulous at 11:10 AM 4-30-2010

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
you want to relocate the DV after the IC so that it recirculates cold air . . .
when I did mine, I also bypassed the n249 and ran vacuum directly off the manifold to the DV. this causes it to respond more quickly because you actually have shorter vac connections to the DV and less hose on the boost side of the DV with the relocation.
the hose after the DV is just there to recirculate air and doesn't ever see boost because of the valve. there is actually LESS volume in the hoses when you reroute them correctly and it causes the DV to snap quicker, faster, and harder.
again, these benefits came from reducing the overall length of the connections and bypassing the n249 control circuit. I don't know why you would want to add extra hose for no reason - I'd just leave it in the stock location.
with that said, if you use reasonably short lengths of hose and don't move the valve far, you won't notice any difference. go for it! and when it sucks or doesn't work, you can always put it back
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by ypsetihw at 9:30 AM 4-30-2010

·
Registered
846 Posts
Re: (timjw_82)

Quote, originally posted by timjw_82 »
thank you very much! exactly what i wanted to know.. and hey we got all this done without someone saying.. use the SEARCH button!

no one said use the search button because this is not a topic that has been beat to death. IMO, it sounds silly to put your DV on the firewall, but it would be unique.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Re: (kroutbrner)

To add to the list of benefits, and this should be at the very top:
Moving it to the coldside keeps the airflow moving in the same direction, even upon release.
When it's mounted on the hotside the boosted air from the throttle plate back needs to come back thru the core and out the valve, where as with it on the coldside, the air keeps moving in the same direction, NOT against the turbocharger. This is where the "quicker spool between shifts" comes from.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Re: (Savvv)

Quote, originally posted by Savvv »
To add to the list of benefits, and this should be at the very top:
Moving it to the coldside keeps the airflow moving in the same direction, even upon release.
When it's mounted on the hotside the boosted air from the throttle plate back needs to come back thru the core and out the valve, where as with it on the coldside, the air keeps moving in the same direction, NOT against the turbocharger. This is where the "quicker spool between shifts" comes from.

x2 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif it feels great

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.