VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INTRODUCTION:
The purpose of this session was to test the APR 93 octane chip performance versus the stock performance of the 2009 VW CC with the 2.0TSI engine and 6-speed manual transmission.
CONDITIONS:
The vehicle was filled with Mobil 93 octane fuel and tested with a full tank. The temperature was approximately 85 degrees outdoors and 90 degrees in the dyno room. Humidity was in the 20% range.
PROCEDURE:
The vehicle was tested on a Dynojet 424x dynometer. Two small fans were placed at the front of the vehicle for all runs. The hood was left up. A wideband o2 was placed at the tailpipe. The dyno operator indicated an approximate .4 point higher reading on the lambda placed at this tailpipe versus on his onboard wideband readings on vehicles tested. The vehicle was run in 4th gear for all runs. Three initial runs took place in APR 93 octane mode. The car was rested. Three more runs were run in Stock mode. Vag-Com datalogging of channel 2, 11, 115 were executed during all runs.
RESULTS:
The following is a chart of the before and after run. It is uncorrected and also depicts air/fuel and ambient dyno conditions.

The following is a chart of the intake air volume of the before and after run.

The following is a chart of the overall timing of the before and after run.

The following is a chart of the boost of the before and after run.

DISCUSSION:
The results were extremely pleasing overall. The peak numbers tell only part of the story here. The vehicle gained 22 peak horsepower at the wheels and 54 peak torque. What's just as important is to look at the overall area of gains under the curve. The gains are linear throughout the rev band. Gone are the days of 500rpm spikes in torque that produce high peak readings such as in the days of the 1.8t. The 2.0TSI motor responds to these modest levels of boost increase with all smiles.
An area of interest is in the timing logs in which the stock car utilizes significantly more timing. This isn't surprising given the increase in boost on the APR modified ECU. You can having timing or you can have boost, but it is difficult to have them both. A likely contributor to the ceiling in overall horsepower is the need for upgraded intercooling. The graphs of timing depict increasingly more erratic timing as the rpms climb. What was also noticed during this session was the rapid increase in intake air temperatures as the rpms rise as well. This is apparent in stock form and mildly exacerbated in modified form. Intake temps as high as 131 degrees were the norm and it wouldn't be surprising if they climbed higher had the dyno day lasted longer.
To reiterate, the overall results are extremely pleasing. The vehicle is now producing more torque at the wheels then the 3.6 liter v6 model produces at the crank AND it is doing it across an extremely broad rev band. That is to say that the car is producing peak torque faster than the v6 and holding it long. With the addition of improved intercooling there is no question this car could be even more powerful. Thanks to APR at http://www.goapr.com for a fantastic product and to USP Motorsports http://www.uspmotorsports.com for the quality testing conditions.
cheers! Mike

Modified by bhvrdr at 4:04 PM 4-27-2009

· Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: FV-QR (scenturion)

Dave, good to see you my friend. Hope all is well and yeah, it's nice to be back in a turbo car. While it isnt the case, this car feels every bit as fast as the S4.
Thanks for the kind words Arin and Rumit.
As for actual drivetrain losses (not dyno losses) i'd guess 10 or 12% through the manual tranny cars but folks with engineering degrees could probably answer that better. As for the dyno reading drivetrain losses...who knows? Every dyno is different. This dynojet that i'm using now reads significantly LOWER than the mustang I used (ive measured the same car on both) and lower than some mustang baselines i've seen posted in this forum but I dont really look at that. Again, they're all different even among the same brands and models of dynos. All I can do is look at the power gained from stock to modified runs and then figure there's probably another 10% or 12% at the crank.
cheers! mike

Modified by bhvrdr at 7:03 PM 4-27-2009

· Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (aussievfrss)

Quote, originally posted by aussievfrss »
That boost log for the Stock Run looks really weird. Is this the VW OEM stock file or the APR stock file?

The two are the same. There is the exact same boost request in the OEM verus APR stock file. What looks odd about it?

· Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (mean buzzen half dozen)

Quote, originally posted by mean buzzen half dozen »
It would be interesting to install a meth inj kit & do the dyno test again.

MBHD

Youre stealing my thoughts
I think that's a great idea. Im leaning towards the no fuss option of a better intercooler though. we'll see.

· Registered
11,960 Posts
Re: Dyno Day - APR 93 Octane versus Stock Dyno Runs (bhvrdr)

Very good write up. Shows just how conservative VW is with their hp ratings. It would be interesting to have a comparison w/ a VR6 model, to see the way the tq is delivered and if there is any "fibbing" with those ratings. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,173 Posts
Re: Dyno Day - APR 93 Octane versus Stock Dyno Runs (mean buzzen half dozen)

check out BSH they have wm kits specifically made for our cars

· Registered
3,173 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
So a TSI never boosts up on stock VW file past 10psi until after 5500 rpm.
I find that hard to believe. Eventhough it might be a different turbo, there is still similarities between the two engines.
I just think the APR stock file is different from VW stock file.

· Vendor
21,688 Posts
Re: (aussievfrss)

Quote, originally posted by aussievfrss »
I just think the APR stock file is different from VW stock file.

What would be the point of that? We are able to completely reflash the ECU... it would be pointless to recalibrate a stock file that's already given to us from the factory.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.