VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two Sunday’s ago I decided to figure out if we could Dyno the R32 in FWD rather than AWD in order to allow us to Dyno Tune our new product line in-house. The answer is yes, it can be done very easily and by merely disabling the rear differential electronically.
Since there has been a lot of discussion on the topic I decided to do several runs in various gears with and with the Exhaust Valve hooked up and functioning as it was intended and the same runs with it fully open (disconnected and capped the vacuum line). Just for curiosity sake I also tested a K&N panel filter, new out of the box.
Here are the results:

The exhaust valve must not open all the way when hooked up and functioning as stock, if it did the power figures above 3500 rpm should be the same. So running it open seems to be the best choice for HP and Torque.
We are in the process of decoding and tuning the ECU and we will be dyno testing this upgrade and I will post the results here. We will also be testing a full series of exhaust upgrades and different variants of our 2.5” & 3” SS Systems with duel outlets of course. We will dyno and post the results for this as well.
-Rich

Modified by eiprich at 12:24 PM 3-16-2004

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: Dyno Results - R32 Exhaust Mod...and more... (eiprich)

Strange about the power increase that the top end. There seems to be no discernable
"opening point" in the stock dyno curve. Could you *hear* it opening at the
normal time? Above 45mph, above 3400 rpms? I wonder if the ECU was confused
about the wheelspeed sensors running in 2wd mode, and simply never actually opened
the valve.
ian

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Greanhouse)

Quote, originally posted by Greanhouse »
Thanks!
Oh, reply to my email 'bout the turbo kit pricing!!!! I'm dyin' over here!!!

Email just sent a few minutes ago...
-Rich

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Dyno Results - R32 Exhaust Mod...and more... (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
Strange about the power increase that the top end. There seems to be no discernable
"opening point" in the stock dyno curve. Could you *hear* it opening at the
normal time? Above 45mph, above 3400 rpms? I wonder if the ECU was confused
about the wheelspeed sensors running in 2wd mode, and simply never actually opened
the valve.
ian

Yes it was opening as normal right at 3500 RPM but I agree the transition is surprisingly smooth. We have the entire session on video, we closed the bay door specifically so you can hear the change-over and it is loud when it opens.
We did multiple runs in each gear 3rd, 4th, and 5th just to be sure the results were consistent.
-Rich

·
Registered
18,556 Posts

And switched it back to stock operation after the higher power runs?
ian

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

And switched it back to stock operation after the higher power runs?
ian

Yes...no change from the original stock runs.
Even though it makes power I run mine in stock form, like it quiet...I must be getting old

-Rich

·
Registered
4,370 Posts

Great stuff--thanx for sharing, Rich! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Mike

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Re: Dyno Results - R32 Exhaust Mod...and more... (mec_vw)

Quote, originally posted by mec_vw »
Great stuff--thanx for sharing, Rich! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

ditto http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Quote »
Two Sunday’s ago I decided to figure out if we could Dyno the R32 in FWD rather than AWD in order to allow us to Dyno Tune our new product line in-house. The answer is yes, it can be done very easily and by merely disabling the rear differential electronically.

How did you disable the AWD? Did you pull the fuse, or disconnect something, or just pull the e-brake?
Thanks for sharing your findings.

·
Registered
303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by eiprich »
We have the entire session on video

Any chance we could see these videos?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Here's a slightly condensed version of the dyno image.
ian

MAN, you beat me to it!
Well, I updated my original post with a pic rather than a link.
-Rich

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: Dyno Results - R32 Exhaust Mod...and more... (banzaimf)

Quote, originally posted by banzaimf »
Which is the K&N run?

The green one.
But it sorta doesn't matter as it was worth about half a horsepower,
which falls well within the error of margin.
ian

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

Wow! Impressive results from just the exhaust mod alone. I may have to try it out sometime.
I am a little surprised that the addition of the K&N didnt yield better results. Were you at all suprised at that Rich?
Do you forsee much headway in chip tuning? AMD is claiming 15WHP and has dyno results to back it up. I would love to see a chip with gains up to 20WHP but that just may be impossible.
The results of the exhaust mod combined with an aftermarket chip seem promising. Most chips bump torque about 10lb ft, consider that with the addition of 10 extra lb ft from the exhaust mod and you have some serious torque brewing

·
Banned
2,309 Posts

Comon Rich stop playing' with the lil stuff and keep up with the big boy R32 research and developement.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Re: Dyno Results - R32 Exhaust Mod...and more... (HOTSKILLET98)

So why does the maximum output change over 3400RPM if the vacuum line should already be opened??? New Dimensions only recorded 10lb ft gains, but your results also show an increase of 8HP in addition to some minor torque gains... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Interesting, ND makes 10lb ft and EIP's car made 4lb ft but with HP gains.
What do you think Rich?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts