VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install a set of retro fit e55 Bi Xenon headlights on my GLI. I'm having major issues. First I found out that the harnesses to the ballasts were wired backwards. I've fixed that. Now I don't have any high beams! I have several questions: First of all I'm not even sure if they are really e55 Bixenons to begin with. Thay came with the car when I bought it. I'm not familiar with the e55 lights on a Merceded. Do they have two projectors or does a single projector have a dual filament bulb? I hope someone knows! Another concern is that the bulbs that are in there currently are not the stock unit. Thay look like cheap rice immitations and they may only be for a single, low beam light. Again, I'm not quite sure. Please excuse my ignorance! I'm new to this! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

· Registered
33,911 Posts
single projector.
No such thing as a dual filament HID bulb
It has a shutter, that is controlled by a solenoid that was 2 wires coming out of it (no polarity which makes things a little easier).
THe main issue of the Jetta is the car is not wired to run both the low and high at the same time. Once you touch the high (or flasher), power to the low beam shuts off-- this could be the culprit.
There is a fix for it, aka the Jumpering Mod, which there is a thread in this (Lighting) forum that you need to do, to prevent the low beams from shutting off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.