VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed headlights with fogs included, with a fog light switch. They work fine and I followed the instructions closely but I've got a bad ground or something, causing a battery drain issue. When it comes to electronics I know just enough to be dangerous, so anyone got any pointers I can check to resolve this issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have an on/off switch it shouldn't be draining your battery. Unless for some reason when its on it uses alot of power in which case maybe a new battery or even something a slight bit larger with more power will help. Most cars actually i think all cars need 12v to start like i have a gauge for mine and mine reads 14v with cold start and like 13.8 when im cruising. If im in park and put the ac on it reads 12v cause its under heavy load.

So if you see what im sayen somethings do use more power it might be something as simple as your battery

im not a professional nor an electrician guy either lol but just a thought maybe it could help

Also a bad ground would prevent it from working all together. Maybe you have it wired incorrectly? Might be sending signals in the wrong directions or some thing who knows.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have an on/off switch it shouldn't be draining your battery. Unless for some reason when its on it uses alot of power in which case maybe a new battery or even something a slight bit larger with more power will help. Most cars actually i think all cars need 12v to start like i have a gauge for mine and mine reads 14v with cold start and like 13.8 when im cruising. If im in park and put the ac on it reads 12v cause its under heavy load.

So if you see what im sayen somethings do use more power it might be something as simple as your battery

im not a professional nor an electrician guy either lol but just a thought maybe it could help

Also a bad ground would prevent it from working all together. Maybe you have it wired incorrectly? Might be sending signals in the wrong directions or some thing who knows.
Thanks, one important thing I left out is the car was stored in winter, and I started it every so often just to give it some exercise. But between starts every month or so, the battery lost juice and I had to charge it up. Now that I'm driving it more, maybe it will hold a charge longer, or by draining the battery my battery is now toast?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here's an update, yesterday I drove the car all day long with several stops during the day. The long drive charged me up and it started fine all day. I think the car just sat too long without a start. There might be a slow drain or the battery is old. I will disconnect the battery ground whenever the car will sit for a long time. That seems to help. Worked fine all day yesterday. I have also installed a solar trickle charger that plugs into the cig lighter. :thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.