VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who might experience the same situation. My 2017 Passat SEL 1.8 started making a short rattling noise upon startup only after sitting for at least 5 hours. It seemed as if once the engine started and built oil pressure, the rattling immediately stopped. Once started initially the engine could be started as many times as you would like and the rattle would not occur. After some research I figured it HAD to be a failed timing chain tensioner that was allowing oil to leak past and collapse over time. Given the car only had 56,000 miles on it I took it into the dealer which diagnosed it with a failed spool valve. So, for those who may be like me and be 100% convinced that a starting rattle is a failed timing chain tensioner, know there is the possibility it could also be the spool valve. :facepalm:. Luckily the car seems fine now after a box full of parts were thrown at it.
For those who are wondering, the car has had regular Mobil1 oil changes every 5-6K miles since new, attached is the service performed to correct the problem and a video of the noise before being fixed. Looks like there is a TSB for this issue (10-18-01TT).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zWFsom5NNxvvcR-Jz4dMKhYVQP5Y2l71/view?usp=drivesdk

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10149892-9999.pdf

·
Registered
518 Posts
Had the same failure on my 2014 with 78K miles. Car was out of warranty. VW of America covered most of the repair cost. Dealership quoted me almost $5000 for the repair. They replaced spool valve, camshaft, timing chains and tensioners.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey did you have any other symptoms? such as check engine light, less mpg, loss of power?
Also do you drive the car hard? and im guessing the quicker you find this issue the better
ty

·
Registered
518 Posts
In my situation, the engine was rough idling, rpms were going from about 400 to 1500. Engine light on too. Also loud ticking sound from engine at idle speed. Also the car would stall at idle. In my situation the symptoms developed overnight.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it seems that having the car at the dealership for three weeks to have the spool valve and intake cam replaced fixed absolutely nothing, so it will be going back next week. The saga continues! I imagine it is a failed tensioner as originally suspected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts