VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know a good source to get a hold of these early european bumpers? Not the black plastic covers, but the metal bumpers?
I would also need the rubber end caps for them as well.
Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Re: early metal mk1 european bumpers....where can i get em? (mk2jettagli16v)

good luck...
i have a source for them in the UK but im waiting tioll i have an order of like 10 to bring them over.. if you serious email me

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Re: early metal mk1 european bumpers....where can i get em? (brinskan)

I'm seriously thinking of manufacturing those somehow. I have prototyping resources here at work... Can anyone get me dimensions, etc?
Tim

·
Registered
810 Posts
Re: early metal mk1 european bumpers....where can i get em? (vwrabbit)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm seriously thinking of manufacturing those somehow. I have prototyping resources here at work... Can anyone get me dimensions, etc?
Tim[HR][/HR]​
if you can make some of these that look just as good as the real ones, I will buy a set.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Re: early metal mk1 european bumpers....where can i get em? (Fettes Brot)

sourcing the bumpers isn't too difficult.. there have been several posts recently with places that sell them (too bad search is down). the problem is finding the end caps which from what I've heard, is extremely tough.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Re: early metal mk1 european bumpers....where can i get em? (mk2jettagli16v)

Some ifo. I have found,a place called Bullock style in Germany has the bumpers but not the end caps. about $400.00+shipping.V.W.s classic parts division in Wolfsburg does NOT have them. I have tried several source in the U.K. No luck.If somebody has them,or makes them stateside I will buy them asap.They would be perfect for Project 78.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Re: early metal mk1 european bumpers....where can i get em? (Fettes Brot)

I haven't worked out pricing yet. Trying to come up with the best solution for manufacture, then I'll do pricing. I'd also do the end caps. I'm hoping I can get them together for around $350-400/set.
Can anyone get me some dimensions? Otherwise, I'm going to have to just go at it by pictures.
Tim

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

After prototype, wouldn't hydro-forming be pretty cost effective?? Would still have to weld in attachment brackets though.
Could just use a break to make prototype..?

·
Registered
365 Posts

Im pretty sure u can base the deminsions on the metal under the eurobumpers( plastic covered ones)...they look pretty close but then u need to make mounts that hold them closer to the body.., or you could just re drill the euro ones...either or......worht a look at least http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Re: early metal mk1 european bumpers....where can i get em? (tomk1)

I'm looking to find some aluminum box stock that I can remove the one side from after giving it the slight bend. I'll probably use the Cabby mounting brackets since they sit pretty close to the body.
I'll measure my Euros and see how they come out. I can probably also use the stock American bumpers for the curvature, etc.
Tim

·
Registered
196 Posts

I have some I am making out of 7075-T6. The rears are straight, the front will be piccaloed for a slight arc to macth the front apron. The end caps will either be graphite or carbon fibre. I don't have true dimensions off euro bumpers because someone shafted me on buying a complete set for $200.00 so I had to guess on size.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Re: early metal mk1 european bumpers....where can i get em? (Big CADDY)

I would also like a set of these..and anything we can do to bring them to north america for a reasonable cost is http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif in my books.
I may be able to source a set from germany, and if I can..they I would source costs as far as production...of replicas.
will keep you posted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts