VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This trans was pulled from an early VW powered Dodge Omni.
i believe that this is the A412 (dodge number) but am not posative.
see the different drive flange. just swap out a VW drive flange and you have an operable 4spd. (not that anyone but racers really want a 4spd anyway
)

up next: splitting the case to see what gears came in them. 1st thru 4th. Hopefully, there are some different 2nd and 3rd gears that weren't available in the VW line.
i have heard that the R/P is a 3.42 which is NOT available in any VW.
I also just purchased an Omni R/P that is also supposed to be from an early omni. i counted the teeth tonight and found the ring gear to have 74 and the pinion to have 20 = 3.70. so, maybe there is another R/P combo.
feel free to chime in.
Craig

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st Gear: 38/11 =3.455
2nd Gear: 35/18 = 1.94
3rd Gear: 36/28 = 1.29
4th Gear: 31/32 = .97
These are the same 2nd thru 4th of a GC

R/P => 73/21 = 3.48 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Trans Code:

Modified by Shrttrackr at 9:00 PM 2-18-2008

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more pics

BEFORE anyone says that i am getting the internals dirty ---- i took the back plate off the trans and found a bunch of debris so i pretty much concluded that the trans was useless. hopefully, the R/P are still OK.

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
interesting, I always wounderred about this after hearing they used vw motors, and also that they looks very similiar to the rabbits

·
Registered
13,630 Posts
Re: more pics (Shrttrackr)

Quote, originally posted by Shrttrackr »
the Ring gear has 73 teeth and i have not torn down enough to count the pinion gear.
But 73 is not anything that VW has listed as a R/P.
hopefully, this one is the 3.42 R/P. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

It won't be a 3.42 with a 73T ring gear, 3.48 is about as close as it could get...

73/22 = 3.32
73/21 = 3.48
73/20 = 3.65
73/19 = 3.84
73/18 = 4.05
73/17 = 4.29
73/16 = 4.56
73/15 = 4.87
Yeah, 4th sync looks shot and chewed up.
It sure looks like a VW trans to me though, thanks for the pics!
Oh, when marking the teeth like that for counting, I mark every 10th tooth.... count out 10 teeth, mark the 10th one, then the 20th, and the 30th and so on... because I always manage to loose my place. I just back up and won't lose any more than 10 in my count. The marks can be counted quickly spread out every 10 teeth like that as well. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Broke

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Broke,
I realized that my math was incorrect after i posted and just didn't feel like changing it.

as for the drive flanges, they are not 100mm but i have not measured them exactly yet. i'll do that tonight as well as post the remaining gear ratios and trans codes.
i mark every tooth as i loose concentration if i do not.... i think i have ADD....

i'm posting this so you can update your trans site and be the ONLY site to have the OMNI/VW trans info. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Shrttrackr at 6:17 PM 2-8-2008

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also, i found a mopar r/p set on ebay a while back. bought it for a whopping 10.99 (including shipping) and it turns out to be a 3.70 --- 74 R/ 20P.
looks like the same vw R/P but i have yet to examine to make sure.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Regular Omni gearboxes (that came from the 2.2/2.5) had slip-in/clip-in axles. The 1.7 is the only one that had the bolt-on CVs, and that was only on the manual boxes. The A404 automatic had clip-ins. Had one of those years back :D.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another interesting tidbit about the VW/Chrysler parts sharing. As was mentioned above, Chrysler used VW motors in the Omni. They also used a VW motor in postal jeeps for a few years as well. And what is interesting about postal jeeps? They are rear wheel drive. They use a mopar 3 speed auto tranny (torqueflite 727 if I'm not mistaken) with a bellhousing that bolts to a VW motor.

Anyone up for making a sweet drag car?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The omni R/P are out of 4 speeds. they will not work in a 5 speed.

they ratios available from the Omni/VW trans are 3.70 (unsure of the trans code) and 3.48 (code GM).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.