VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I find it confusing with all the wiring. IS there an easier way to disable my DRLs.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Easiest way to disable DRLs (hc168)

Followed the guidance from the post "http://www.mkivresource.com" http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
It sounded pretty intimidating, but was actually pretty easy once I got started.
I'd NEVER de-soldered before, but it's a piece of cake.
As to WHY I'd wish to do so in the first place, perhaps I'm just a control freak!

Thankfully, they're not required in the US, and I don't believe they really accomplish anything (other than leading to premature lamp demise!)
Whether you agree or not, the site: http://www.lightsout.org/
has some interesting points.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Re: Easiest way to disable DRLs (woodyRN)

I never heard of that procedure . . . the one I did on my freind Jetta was you pull out the switch then just put a little peive of electrical tape on one of the tabs on the headlight switch . . . worked fine. I think the tab was something like TRL or something like that

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Easiest way to disable DRLs (zoinks208)

I don't want my lights being too bright during the day since i changed to super white lights.
Thanks to everyone that helped!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: Easiest way to disable DRLs (zoinks208)

quote:[HR][/HR]May I ask why you would want to remove the DRL?[HR][/HR]​
There are two reasons one would need to do this:
1: You have mounted the super bright lamps, which I would recommend against because of generally poor quality control which affects how well the beam pattern conforms to federal lighting laws I.E. the filiment is off center from where it should be rendering the lamp impossable to aim correctly. These lamps are typically imported from asia and have a disclaimer that they are for off road use only.
These lamps that have numbers like this when referring to wattage : 80(100) /100(130). What this generally means is that the lamp has a low beam of 80 watts but outputs the same light as a 100 watt lamp which is needed to overcome or reduce the effects of the tinting.
There is no free ride here, and the increased brightness is gained from burning the filiments at a much higher temperature. Although the DRL's run at a slightly reduced voltage the average working life of these lamps on a DRL equipped VW can be as low as three months because they are never turned off when the car is running. Just think about how many wanna be HID lighted cars you have seen with one light out and you will see what I mean.
2: You have fitted your car with real HID lamps. All of these fixtures require a ballast that converts the low voltage supplied by the car into the high voltage required to sustain the high voltage arc discharge lamps. The lower input voltages supplied by the DRL's would cause operation beyond the design limits of the ballasts.
Actually there is a unrelated third reason... You drive a pre-99 GM vehicle which uses the hi-beams for DRL's like a Saturn and people are always flipping you off because they think you are running the brights just to piss them off.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Re: Easiest way to disable DRLs (DarrellVR6)

If you drive any GM product I think you should disconect your headlights and just use running lights. GM's have the worst headlight design, but I hope they improve for the safty of others on the roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts