VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
25,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For kicks I grabbed a badgeless single-round grill from eBay and it fits, sorta.
The upper tabs all fit but the lower "arms" don't seem to want to grab the core support.
Before I go pushing too hard and snapping the bastid, I was looking for tips (if any) to finesse these things in place.

· Registered
3,750 Posts
I usually like up the lower pieces first as they usually line right up onto the rad support and the top pieces just clip in. If they don't use a flat head screw driver and try to press down on the plastic tabs of the grill lightly and seat them into the right sockets on top. Usually works like a charm http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Re: eBay badgeless grill fitment question (Jman5000)

I'm not sure how much worse your ebay fitment is the my fk, but here is what I did. I used a pair of pliars to slightly bend down the lower middle two tabs so that they were closer to the front of my car. For me these ones seemed like my cheap non oem rad support wasen't quite right. Then I took a hair dryer and warmed up the enitre lower section of the grill. Then I just popped it into place slowly with my friend doing the entire grill at once. Be careful that the middle two tabs dont bend down under the rad support instead of up into place.

· Registered
25,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Canadian_dubber_4_life)

Are the FTW zip ties more money? PS, thanks for the advice on how to use them. (sarcasm, on)
I think I'll first try application (gentle) of heat. I'm also wary of pushing on the lower area because it has fresh paint.

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Re: (Jman5000)

Eh, I have the same one, except mine has the molded plastic piece along the bottom of the grille instead of the removable metal one.
Mine fit fine, it just sticks out past the edge of the hood about a 1/2 inch and looks dumb.
Just go slow.
Start with the bottom ones, I would agree, and try to get the outside left and then the outside right.
And then the rest should line up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
10,179 Posts
My crappy aborted fetus of an e-bay grille had partially formed bottom clips from terrible casting. It's all about chaining zip ties together and holding the grille on at the bottom that way. Might have to drill a hole or something to loop the zip tie through.

· Registered
4,262 Posts
Re: eBay badgeless grill fitment question (elveloz69)

I bought a badgeless grill on here, it was supposed to be a named one but it was only 25$ so when it arrived i wasnt surprised. The fitment is actually pretty good until my friend broke it lol

· Registered
1,751 Posts
Mine had holes at the top that matched some holes in the rad support. However, it kept popping off on the one side every time I closed the hood. 2 stainless steel screws from Home Depot fixed that. I put them in the aforementioned holes.
Not a problem since.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: (Deutschbag)

Quote, originally posted by Deutschbag »
My crappy aborted fetus of an e-bay grille had partially formed bottom clips from terrible casting. It's all about chaining zip ties together and holding the grille on at the bottom that way. Might have to drill a hole or something to loop the zip tie through.

I bought a Cheesebay westy replacement because my real westy got heat warped. It's a Taiwan copy. I am expecting the worst for the fit, plus you have to add your own chrome line...

I'm on a budget so I get what I pay for.... which was not much lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.