VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for an affordable intake for quite a while now and I've noticed that there are lots on eBay for around $35 that are a mandrel bent 2.5" pipe. Is there any benefit to spending a significant amount more and getting a 2.75" intake? My car is stock right now, but I'll have DRC 268's and TT 2.5" exhaust waiting for me to have some free time.

· Registered
499 Posts
Yo just take yourself to "The Home Depot" and buy yourself a dryer tube for $9 like I did and make your cold air intake =) works fine for me im still running it. haha. why spend $2098475209348752039.87 when you can spend just $9 and get the same results? ;)

· Registered
3,409 Posts
You are gonna want 3" for the intake, the vr6 maf is 3", it makes no sense to go smaller, go bigger if anything. Turn2 was 3" tube and then flared out to run a 3.5" inlet filter, iirc. I was gonna go the ebay route for one since no turn2 or carbonios were popping up for sale but then some gave me a gift card to advance auto parts and I was able to make one for less that that.

For less than $50 I had a 3" cone filter, a 3" silicone coupler with clamps and a coated aluminum intake tube meant for a civic. Mock the tube up to see how much you need to trim off the long straight section. Then either remove the carbon canister or relocate it. I chose to delete it since it was cracked anyway. In a mk3 you may not have to cut the tube, I have a mk2 so I don't know.

I had trouble getting the filter I bought to fit between the fender and the edge of the front subframe but I have a mk2, I would say thats a problem but since its such a tight fit that I didn't even need to make a bracket to secure the intake tube from rattling/moving around.

In a mk3 I could have fit a much bigger filter if I wanted to, I should have measured the clearance for the filter on my car but I wanted a big filter so I just kinda squished the filter a bit and wedged it up there. My intake tube had a whole with a plug in it for some sort of pcv hose that hondas use. I used that spot to put my 1.8T IAT sensor into. Its right at the frame rail and reads nice cold air. All in all well worth the money.

· Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already have a 3" K&N on my MAF, but it gets stupid heat soak in my MK4. I want a proper CAI now since I don't do too much highway driving. As awesome as the SRI is for mileage, it sucks for power after driving for 15 minutes. I just don't want to spend $250 on a metal pipe... :sly:

· Registered
3,409 Posts
lol thats no cai is sri it will let hot air in to ur motor.
do this

http://sites.google.com/site/stoyneff/engine-general/make-your-own-short-ram-intake

its a much better idea
While that setup does use ram air to get cold air and the filter is properly shielded off, you really need space between the filter and the maf. You get too much turbulance with that setup and it doesnt really help the maf readings at all.

I only believe in doing a SRI, if you have to flip the throttle body to the othe side for some reason or if you properly build and tune the runner size and plenum volume to the what the motor/cams actually need and what powerband you are looking for.

My setup is a true cai. The air filter is outside of the engine bay getting fed with fresh air from where the foglamps would be. IAT sensor can confirm that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.