VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put the ebay 3" downpipe on my 20th stock exhaust and it spools way faster and sounds sick. Also holds boost much better. It pulls from 60 to 100 much quicker. I highly recommend this dp. I paid 140 shipped on ebay. My other mods are APR 93, Forge 007 and AEM CAI.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Re: Ebay downpipe Sick (GermanJB20th)

why is a DP holding boost.....

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
do you still have the stock Cat on there? If so I would recomend a hi-flow cat, otherwise you would be bottle-necking and losing valuable power. I pretty much have the same setup, 3" Ebay downpipe and 3" cat back.
For the longest I was running with my stock cat, but when i had the hi-flow installed, pretty big difference.

·
Registered
14,685 Posts
Re: Ebay downpipe Sick (hitman 1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by hitman 1.8T »
EBAY makes a downpipe ?

Nah. There's some company on there selling super cheap ones. But, I don't think they're stainless steel. If it's too good to be true....

·
Registered
15,186 Posts
Re: Ebay downpipe Sick (bluebora20v)

Quote, originally posted by djGolfGTI »
I know there are a lot of people out there wondering about those cheap downpipes you can buy off ebay. Most are skeptic about them, whether it be about the quality, the performance, the fitment, whatever. I too was pretty skeptic, but i was lured by the cost. So I bought one and decided to try it out. And now I'd like to share my experiences with you. Enjoy!
Installed on 2001 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta 1.8T (GIAC chip, AEM CAI, 2.25" Magnaflow Cat-back)

This is what came with my order:
3" Stainless Steel Downpipe (2 sections) that tapers down to 2.25"

Gaskets and hardware

Some close-ups

Some comparison shots

And YES, you will get this if you don't run a catalytic converter

The Verdict:
Quality: Quality was surprisingly very good. Nice welds.
Fitment: Pretty much perfect. Mated up to my 2.25" Magnaflow cat-back with no problems. No leaks at all and O2 sensors installed just as they should. Also, no rubbing (stock motor mounts too!)
Performance: Worth every penny! Car pulls MUCH harder now than it did before. According to my boost gauge, I'm actually down 1-2 psi. However, boost comes on a lot faster now and higher rpm performance has improved. According to my G-Tech Pro SS (ghetto dyno), I picked up 19 hp and 22 lbs-ft of torque and low-end torque was not affected (can't really rely on that, but it gives you an idea). Overall, the car feels a lot stronger! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Sound: Low rpm driving sounds almost the same as it did before. As the rpms rise, however, the sound is incredible! The turbo is much louder too (plus for me!
)
Cons: My main concern is the placement of the flex joint. I'd rather it be closer to the turbo (like stock). Don't know if this will have an affect on long term durability or not, but for now it seems as though it'll do its job. This downpipe does NOT include a catalytic converter, hence it's OFF-ROAD USE ONLY
. My CEL came on and I was expecting it. I plan to purchase the High Flow catalytic converter from ATP to replace the "test pipe" section of the downpipe.
For the money, you can't beat this deal! Looks great, fits great, performs great, sounds great. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif from me!!!
Modified by djGolfGTI at 1:32 AM 6-28-2005

Amazing whatcha can find when you actually venture out of the 20th/337/GLI forum!!!!

It's a 2 page long thread in the 1.8t forum!
Give the other forums "a whack" some time!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
without a cat i think our cars sound very RICEY at high RPMS.......i also bought an ebay downpipe and ran it through my magnaflow.......it was RICE at high RPMS......boo

·
Banned
10,808 Posts
Re: (vdubjetta02)

Quote, originally posted by vdubjetta02 »
without a cat i think our cars sound very RICEY at high RPMS.......i also bought an ebay downpipe and ran it through my magnaflow.......it was RICE at high RPMS......boo

A lot has to do with your muffler I think. Open dump sounds amazing.

·
Registered
15,186 Posts
Re: (vdubjetta02)

Quote, originally posted by vdubjetta02 »

Not a "flame" a genuine question though...
Is there a 4 cyl w/ a free-flowing exhaust that DOESN'T sound like R!CE????? Ya know, like take V8's. IMO, it'd take one heck of a blindfolded person to be able to tell which engine is which when it's churning out 8K rpms, ya know???
I think it should be more about r!ce @ lower everyday RPMs that is important. It's the rev-band we "live in" (unless your Dub is strictly auto-x)
I don't know. I guess if you think about it, a VTEC, just by sheer +8K rpms is a pretty good give away. But still...

·
Registered
15,186 Posts
Re: (Jacko5)

On a recent fact-finding mission, I made an effort to answer my own question. Fortunately, we have Great Lakes Dragaway nearby, so I confirmed it under SANCTIONED circumstances.

YES!!!! 4-cylinder engines are distinct. (Please don't ask for soundclips, I don't have any!) My example cars are: Toyota Celica GTS, Honda Civic Si, Acura RSX Type S. There weren't any Evo's or STi's or SRT4's @ the, um, track, so I'll have to look for those cars next time.
Toyota's - there's an inherent raspiness to it w/ a hint of tinny whirl. Most likely a result of VVTi, where to a point you hear more cams than you do exhaust @ WOT.
Honda/Acura - anyone whose ever heard a fart-can will most associate the mid-range WUUUUUHHH! their 4-banger and the inherent pitch change as the VTEC higher RPM cam profile kick that changes to a WHAAAAAAA! I think that's 'round 5.5K RPM or so.
Maybe as I drive to the dragstrip today, I'll get a chance to hear and Evo or STi or an SRT4.
Anyways, this thread is supposed to be about eBay DP's!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.