VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hartge H7S
Hartge 735i manual. Grey market car. Seller is a bit questionable based on his other auctions, but at least the car looks to run and seems relatively complete. Most grey-market imports are nightmares of botched certification work sitting on top of a big pile of rust, so this would definitely be a buyer beware situation.
Even so, I dig it...I can imagine what a nice noise the big M30B35 must make and how surprised some people might be to hear it being rowed through the gears.

(I expect the CAI isn't Hartge equipment)

Modified by Numbersix at 9:23 PM 12-16-2007

·
Banned
6,820 Posts
Re: eBay "I want" of the day: 1984 Hartge H7S (Numbersix)

I love the sound of the M30B35. Only better I6 from BMW in the sound department was the S38B36.
That's a rare find, but not one I'd jump on unless I have lots of cash on hand to deal with anything it might throw at me.

·
Registered
26,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: eBay "I want" of the day: 1984 Hartge H7S ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
I love the sound of the M30B35. Only better I6 from BMW in the sound department was the S38B36.
That's a rare find, but not one I'd jump on unless I have lots of cash on hand to deal with anything it might throw at me.

Exactly. that, combined with the fact that it's likely to have a bunch of parts that are nearly unobtanium here in the US on it, would make me shy away from buying it as a daily driver. (The bumpers alone...)

·
Registered
12,430 Posts

I've seen this same car come up a few times in the last year. It's either still for sale or changing hands rapidly, and neither is a good sign.
Not that I haven't made dumber mistakes.

Modified by turbo_nine at 4:31 PM 12-16-2007

·
Registered
26,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: eBay "I want" of the day: 1984 Hartge H7S (turbo_nine)

Oh, I'm not going to bite...believe you me I don't have the time, the patience, or the open bank book to deal with this car.

However, it doesn't stop me from thinking it's a neat car, and a very nice looking example of that body style. They always looked better with the euro bumpers, and I've loved that style of Hartge wheel long time.
And with a 5 speed and Recaros, it might even prove moderately entertaining--when it ran right(mind you, it'd likely get its ass handed to it by a current-gen Camry V6 automagic, but it'd sound glorious in the process).
Edit--just occurred to me while looking at the pics, I wonder how much lighter this car might be than the typical N.A. spec 7? It doesn't have power seats, heavy diving board bumpers, likely doesn't have side impact beams, etc.

Modified by Numbersix at 3:57 PM 12-16-2007

·
Registered
7,932 Posts

Oh look, it's even got a nice storage bin for the wads of cash you'll need to keep things in order.
The other auctions are very interesting. 2002 turbo? Seems like I've seen some really cool gray market stuff come from this seller in the past year. Maybe a coincidence.

·
Registered
26,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: eBay "I want" of the day: 1984 Hartge H7S (Diamond Dave)

The 2002 Turbo is some kind of cobbled-together thing--the intake manifold is off a 318i, IIRC, and it looks to have an EFI setup...
He does have some interesting cars--makes me wonder where he sources them.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,060 Posts
Re: (Bah Humbug)

While in the big picture I'm glad to see that some people can appreciate this rare vehicle, overall, it does nothing for me. Then again, these big, old, tuned, euro barges never did much for me.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Re: (6cylVWguy)

My dad has an 84 733i with a 5spd. Most poeple dont expect to see a stick in a big old luxury car

·
Registered
26,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (Death Trap)

This guy has a North American spec 735i 5 speed too, which is a very rare bird. Unfortunately that car is pretty well worn, with over 190,000 miles. (And old BMW's do not age as gracefully as their M-B counterparts.)

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Re: (Numbersix)

Quote, originally posted by Numbersix »
This guy has a North American spec 735i 5 speed too, which is a very rare bird. Unfortunately that car is pretty well worn, with over 190,000 miles. (And old BMW's do not age as gracefully as their M-B counterparts.)

Do not age gracefully???? You sir need to get your facts straight before you post fasle statements. 190XXX is nothing for an inline BMW motor.

·
Registered
26,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote, originally posted by Death Trap »

Do not age gracefully???? You sir need to get your facts straight before you post fasle statements. 190XXX is nothing for an inline BMW motor.

I'm well aware of the longevity of BMW inline sixes, and in particular the M30B35 'big six'; I owned an M20B25 equipped car with 250,000+ miles and have driven a number of 5- and 6-series cars with close to or over 300,000 miles.
I speak to the typical longevity of the exterior paint and interior materials on BMW's of this era vs. their M-B counterparts. The quality of interior plastics, leather, etc used on BMW's of this era doesn't seem to be as robust.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts

I'm well aware of the longevity of BMW inline sixes, and in particular the M30B35 'big six'; I owned an M20B25 equipped car with 250,000+ miles and have driven a number of 5- and 6-series cars with close to or over 300,000 miles.
I speak to the typical longevity of the exterior paint and interior materials on BMW's of this era vs. their M-B counterparts. The quality of interior plastics, leather, etc used on BMW's of this era doesn't seem to be as robust.

Next time be specific before you make silly statements

·
Registered
2,899 Posts

Even so, I dig it...I can imagine what a nice noise the big M30B35 must make and how surprised some people might be to hear it being rowed through the gears.

I had a 6-series with the slightly smaller M30B32, and that was a mean sounding engine. At 3000 rpm in 2nd gear it just jumped to life and would fly up almost 65mph before you had to change to 3rd only a few seconds later.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,548 Posts

Get out of my thread.

Sorry for having to set you straight

·
Registered
26,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

You did no such thing; you misinterpreted my statement, and I clarified. But instead of engaging in a polite dialogue, you've chosen to be an arrogant ass and derail the thread. I don't appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts

You did no such thing
You were called out for making a vauge and ignorant statement. I called you on it and now your trying to save face.
Both car makes are fine quality but when you make silly blanket statements you should expect someone to call you out on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.