VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
23,986 Posts
Re: (AutoEuphoria)

I think this was the actual car tested against Robert E. Petersen's Diablo in a '92 issue of Motor Trend. It was owned by the owner of The Chequered Flag, an exotic shop in LA (which, I now believe, has moved to Marina Del Ray and is called Chequered Flag International). MSRP was $999,995 but you got the chance to race in 5 one-make races (the winner of each race got a JaguarSport TWR XJR-S and the overall winner received their $1 million back). Just read that issue last night

· Registered
2,112 Posts
Re: (VadGTI)

Quote, originally posted by VadGTI »
I think this was the actual car tested against Robert E. Petersen's Diablo in a '92 issue of Motor Trend. It was owned by the owner of The Chequered Flag, an exotic shop in LA (which, I now believe, has moved to Marina Del Ray and is called Chequered Flag International). MSRP was $999,995 but you got the chance to race in 5 one-make races (the winner of each race got a JaguarSport TWR XJR-S and the overall winner received their $1 million back). Just read that issue last night

scan and post, please??!!

· Banned
37,162 Posts

that is the coolest sounding publicity campaign i have ever heard of. I would love to see Bugatti or Ferrari do that with their halo cars. Televise it so people can root for their favorite billionaire! haha

· Registered
23,986 Posts
Re: (chocolatecamil)

Quote, originally posted by chocolatecamil »

scan and post, please??!!

I shall try. It requires me remembering to bring it to work tomorrow morning

· Registered
9,045 Posts
Re: (chocolatecamil)

The XJR-15 is another car I have always had a soft spot for.

Love this shot from Silverstone:

Here's some scans of a different article:

Here's the Jaguar press release from when the XJR-15 was announced:

And earlier images of #11 from the last time it was offered for sale.

>8^)
ER

Modified by Peloton25 at 6:29 PM 3-22-2010

· Registered
23,986 Posts
Re: (Peloton25)

Quote, originally posted by Peloton25 »
The XJR-15 is another car I have always had a soft spot for.

Love this shot from Silverstone:
*snip*
>8^)
ER

Erik, don't you think it's a bit freaky to have the original 1990 press release in your Photobucket ready for immediate access?

Was I right? Did the car belong to the owner of The Chequered Flag?

· Registered
9,045 Posts

It wasn't already in my Photobucket account - I just uploaded all that stuff to make my post. I generally hold onto obscure things like that when I find them about cars I appreciate. My folder on the XJR-15 contains about 200 images including those scans.
As for the ownership - no idea there, sorry.
>8^)
ER

· Registered
2,112 Posts

I shall try. It requires me remembering to bring it to work tomorrow morning

thanks dude, and peleton, thanks for your post as well. i was going to mention how i thought it looked pretty modern for an early 90's car, and wasnt surprised why when i read that peter stevens was the man behind the design. he definitely did the same with the mclaren f1!

· Registered
13,044 Posts

Did you read the Ebay listing? The car up for auction is not the car pictured at the top of this thread. Additionally, the car posted on Ebay came to the United States in 1993.
Here's the listing:
Quote, originally posted by Ebay listing Jaguar XJR-15 item number 330415970012 »

JAGUAR-XJR15 #011
The XJR15 is considered to be Jaguar's ultimate supercar. It isthought to be amongst the most beautiful Jaguars ever produced, ranking alongside the Ctype, Dtype and XJ13 in it's aesthetic appeal. Of the 50 total cars produced, only 23 were constructed to racing specifications. Serial number 011 represents an outstanding example of the competition model. It's original racing livery has been preserved. It's driver and racing history are documented and well known. The car is one of three existing in North America. It maintains full EPA and DOT filings [for track and racing use only]. representing one of the best examples.
In the fifties, Jaguar dominated the Le Mans 24 hour race. C-type and D-type cars scored victories in 1951, '53, '55, '56, and '57. Over three decades later, under the leadership of Tom Walkinshaw, Jaguar once again scored Le Man's victories in 1988 and 1990. More importantly, Jaguar won three World Sportscar Championship titles, finally breaking Porsche's long reign in endurance racing. Jaguar's outstanding competition pedigree had been reaffirmed.
In this positive enviroment , Jaguar decided to release a car to selected customers closely based on the Le Mans winning XJR-9. Jaguar formed a partnership with Tom Walkinshaw Racing and created Jaguarsport. On Nov. 15, 1990 a press release announced the creation of the XJR-15. Priced at $1,000,000.00 each, these cars were made in a strictly limited quanity. A pre-condition of order was that customers agree to enter the cars [using professional drivers only ] in a three race series entitled Jaguar Intercontinental Challenge. The series included races at Monoco, Silverstone, and Spa.
The XJR-15 uses the same central monocoque as the XJR-9 designed by Tony Southgate.It is constructed of lightweight composite materials including carbon fiber and Kevlar. XJR-9 suspension was retained all around with fabricated wishbones and horizontally mounted pushrod spring dampers at the front and coil springs at the rear. Four pot AP Racing calipers mounted to vented disc brakes are housed within the wheels to maximize width of venturi tunnels. The engine is a 450 bhp 6 liter , dry sump V12 engine constructed to Group C spec.Fuel is delivered via Zytec electroncally controlled, sequential injection. The transmission is a TWR six speed, straight cut transaxle matched to a triple plate carbon AP clutch. The car weighs in at 2,315 lbs. with a top speed of 215 mph.
Serial #011 was owned and driven in the race series by Bob Wollek. His race results in the JIC series were as follows.
5/12/91 at Monoco 6th place
7/14/91 at Silverstone, England 2nd place
8/25.91 at Spa, Belgium 5th place
Following the Spa race the car was returned to TWR for restoration and retired from professional competition. It is important to note that #011 never experienced any racing contact as was the case with several cars in the JIC series. The car came to the United States in 1993 and has resided in a private collection. #011 retains it's original competition livery, and in full racing condition.
further serious inquires to 602-548-9368

· Registered
9,045 Posts
Re: (bc)

Quote, originally posted by bc »
There is one at a pachinko parlor 15 minutes from my work:

Have you perhaps posted photos of the rest of the cars that are there in TCL before? If not, could you please do that!!!

>8^)
ER

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.