VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me say that the 8454 is a great HU. It has an incredible array of features and the SQ is, as expected from Eclipse, top notch. My favorite features (not including SQ which was priority 1) of the 8454 are:
1. Time alignment
2. 10 band parametric EQ
3. Built in RTA (more on this below)
4. Ability to set the illumination to red
Ok, now for the problems. I'm having some difficulty with the RTA. I follow the manual to set the HU up to monitor the GTIs response, but after the HU goes though the "Measuring" phase, I don't get a display of the response like the manual says I should. My audio dealer called Eclipse tech support, and was told by someone who supposedly owns one that the response is only recorded to the HUs memory--not displayed. On page 127, the manual says:
"Pink noise will be output from the speakers and measurement of the frequency characteristics will start. [Measuring] will appear on the display while measurement is in progress. When measurment is complete, measurement results will appear on the display."
Either the tech support guy is wrong or the manual is. What he said was that it wouldn't display on the HU and that I needed to just write the results to the memory stick and use E-iSERV...which brings me to problem 2.
I can't seem to get the PC to recognize the memory stick if it's formatted by the HU, and the HU doesn't seem to recognize the memory stick if I format it using the PC.
I have a SanDisk memory card reader. I formatted the disk following the instructions in the manual and it seemed to work fine. I did the RTA measurement and copied the data to the disc using the directions in the manual. When I load the memory stick into the SanDisk, the PC recognizes that there is a removable drive but it says the disk isn't formatted and asks if I want to format it.

So do any of you few people who have the 8454 have the same problems? Can you try running the measurement and see what happens? Do you get the freq response to display or not? And have you had any problems loading the results up to your PC?
Oh. I almost forgot problem 3. With the car's headlights on, the display lights of the HU intermittently pulse. Almost as if I'm turning the lights on and off. I'd think it was a loose illumination wire, but the rest of the HU's lights are steady. Just the whitish lights on the actual display are affected. Anyone seeing that problem?
I'm wondering if I'll need to give them this 8454 back and get a new one that works 100%.
Thanks for any input.
P.S. If anyone wants pics, I'll be glad to snap some and post them. Let me know if you want pics of anything in particular or just some generic pics.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Eclipse 8454 installed. Love it, but having some issues. (Dedpool)

Okay. I replaced the 8454 and am still not 100% sure there was anything wrong with the first one. The good news is that the PEQ is working. But it worked, then it didn't, then it did. Very strange, but I'm figuring it must have been something I did and not the HU.
The memory stick still isn't working with my PC but I'm pretty sure that's a PC or Memory Stick reader thing. I'd like to try a non-MagicGate memory stick and see if that works. I have a feeling that's the problem.
The display still kinda pulses but I think I can work around that. I heard there is a pin I can mess with on my yet-to-be-installed Euroswitch (probably on my stock switch too) that will keep the HU from dimming when I turn the lights on (I'll search and/or make a separate post for that).
Anyway, I LOVE this HU. It really looks good in the car and will look even better when I get my OEM silver interior pieces. This is a serious unit. If you are into compettition-grade sound and features this is one to seriously consider.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts