VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a set of paddle shifters from their website which showed their availability as "Direct Ship" with a green check mark next to it.

The next day I received an email to say that unfortunately they're out of stock.

"We are writing to inform you that there has been a delay in receiving some of the items for your order. As of the current time, we are expecting them to arrive on*Back Ordered*.

If you would like to add, remove or make any other changes to the items on this order please let us know. Please use this link to view your current order status."

The link didn't actually allow me to do anything, from cancelling the order to changing it for something else. So I tried to call, but it was after their phone line hours.

I turned to their online chat. I spoke with someone who explained that the only thing I could do was cancel the order and then choose something else. I asked to purchase the same item in a different color. I asked to confirm that it was in stock and he said it was. He said he'd get back to me momentarily, but disappeared. I asked if he was still there a few minutes later, and got no response.

After 10 minutes I gave up. I emailed their support requesting the same thing. I even asked for the available expedited 2 day shipping at an extra $50 charge. That was on the 26th. Today I got another email. This time it said there has been a delay, and the other item which I was assured repeatedly was in stock, would only ship on February 15th.

I called again and got hold of someone in sales. He proceeded to explain to me that on their website, when something says "in stock" it's in their warehouse and will ship within 2 days. If it says "Direct Ship" it means it's shipped directly from the manufacturer. He also said that it's very clear on the site since there is a question mark next to this item which if you click on tells you this.

Frankly, "Direct Ship" could mean many things including directly shipped from their warehouse rather than their stores. There is no definition of direct ship. Direct makes it sound quicker than indirect. But I was told that this is crystal clear and I'm confused. I should have clicked on that "?".

He did me a huge favor by cancelling the entire purchase despite this "?" saying that these direct ship items cannot be cancelled.

I went back to their site to see for myself. The email itself didn't say it wasn't coming from them. It didn't say there could be a delay out of their control. Nothing about that. This is what the '?" reveals should you decide to click on it:

Note that it doesn't say anything about it coming directly from the manufacturer, just an alternative warehouse. What does that mean? To me, it means that ECS has more than 1 warehouse. So the entire message from their sales person who said I was just confused was also wrong.

Caveat emptor. Personally I'm not buying anything from them again unless they make their site crystal clear on what these things mean. In my opinion this is deceiving if not worse. Be careful or as the sales person told me, don't buy from their website. Call them instead. This begs the question why have a website with eCommerce capabilities.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Nothing but great things with them and idk about you but the direct ship makes sense to me when I have ordered in the past but if you wanted S2T padded should of just bought right from them!

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing but great things with them and idk about you but the direct ship makes sense to me when I have ordered in the past but if you wanted S2T padded should of just bought right from them!

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP
I'm glad to hear that Toni. I've only purchased one other item from them before. I don't know the ins and outs of who makes the paddle. I went there, looked at what they had in stock, and found these. I didn't stop to think I should get them directly from S2T.

Think of me as a casual shopper in this space. If I went to Best Buy or Amazon.com, and saw these, felt the price was right, why would I go directly to the manufacturer in that case?

The same goes for Direct Ship. I can see that if you're a regular customer of maybe some other stores in the Add in parts space use this terminology, and this is what it always means, then perhaps you're used to it. But as someone who is just going to their website casually and not accustomed to that phrase, it didn't mean that, nor does the mouse over state that they're getting it from S2T. It states "an alternative warehouse". That's unclear at best.

I'm not here to convince people to not buy from ECS Tuning. I'm here to warn others who are not experienced so they know what to expect, and frankly as a former product manager, I'm hoping their product manager in charge of their website sees this and contacts me.

How you design your site is based on buyer personas. There are different types of personas. Some are frequent shoppers, while others are not. You have to cater to both or all of them, of your website can be poor, misleading or worse. The fact that the sales person I spoke to just insisted that I'm confused shows that either he doesn't understand this concept, or the company or their product management doesn't. If a reasonable % of potential shoppers would be confused by this unclear message, then regardless of opinion, it's in their best interest to change it, not to call their prospects or clients confused.

Now I'm just one person, and if I'm indeed the only person who sees this as confusing, then they are right. But it would still behoove a company to not tell their prospects or clients that their website is great while their client is confused, even if I was upset. I was rightfully upset after purchasing an item twice with an expectation of a delivery timeframe only to be told both times after the non-refundable purchase that the items would be significantly delayed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You're not the only one

I ordered and had the similar experience, only worse. First, it said direct ship, and I admit I was not intensely looking at what that meant. It is a poor way to put the procedure at best. Anyway, I was notified repeatedly of delay, which is fine, but then told on the way, then at a warehouse, then on the way again, then at the warehouse again, then shipping notice. It was not clear until I asked, and then was told that each step has a separate time frame, but even those were not what was happening. Moreover, the progress of the item was repeated, not linear. I complained, got pushback and no offer of expediting, no concrete offer of price adjustment even though the item had gone on sale in the interim. Just a vague offer to perhaps, maybe help the next order.....No more ECS for me....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Seen enough about ECS and their commerce practices to learn to stay away. Far too many other vendors that provide excellent customer service to deal with these guys. YMMV.

Jon.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the bad experience OP
Thanks Mike. Assuming you're someone who either works for or runs ECS, rather than apologize, fix things. There is no reason the experience has to remain so poor, and as I said in the 3rd post, if it was just me, I'd say ignore me. But you can already tell it isn't just me. Best of luck to you (sincerely).

13,266 Posts
Thanks Mike. Assuming you're someone who either works for or runs ECS, rather than apologize, fix things. There is no reason the experience has to remain so poor, and as I said in the 3rd post, if it was just me, I'd say ignore me. But you can already tell it isn't just me. Best of luck to you (sincerely).

Umm no i dont work with ECS ... Username and signature indicate that i work at Extreme Power House

·
Registered
149 Posts
1-800-924-5172
any time i order from ECS i call because
A) could get a discount
B) the live rep will be able to check stock and let me know ahead of time what is or isn't in stock
C) the are very nice guys / gals

while it isn't who i ALWAYS go to, they have great products and haven't in my personal experience ever let me down.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hmm, I've been buying from ECS for years (I used to have a Mini, and they're a big parts supplier for those) without having a disagreeable experience. "Direct ship" is the normal sales term for shipping direct from the manufacturer rather than from a reseller's stock, although I can certainly see why not everyone might be familiar with that.

I do recall when buying my own S2T paddles last year (directly from S2T) that they were out of stock on a number of the variations. This and the breadth of their model range makes me suspect that S2T works on something pretty close to a build-to-order basis.

Neil

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, I've been buying from ECS for years (I used to have a Mini, and they're a big parts supplier for those) without having a disagreeable experience. "Direct ship" is the normal sales term for shipping direct from the manufacturer rather than from a reseller's stock, although I can certainly see why not everyone might be familiar with that.

I do recall when buying my own S2T paddles last year (directly from S2T) that they were out of stock on a number of the variations. This and the breadth of their model range makes me suspect that S2T works on something pretty close to a build-to-order basis.

Neil
It's good to hear that several folks are very happy with ECS. Regarding the "Direct Ship", what I'd recommend to ECS is to make the description clearer.

You say that Direct Ship is the normal sales term for shipping direct from the manufacturer, but if you click on the "?" next to this on their site, that's not what they say. Instead they say it's coming from an alternative warehouse. It also shouldn't in my view require someone to click on a "?" to understand that. It should be crystal clear. That way there will be no confusion and they'd have more happy customers like you.

I hope they read this thread.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The S2T paddles are not in stock anywhere ever. They basically make them as the orders come in. They have had stock in the beginning but it is now weeks for them ship. As for ECS even worse is when it says free shipping and then you get hit a week later with a $167 freight bill.

·
Vendor
39,674 Posts
torbach1 sorry about the issues and confusion. We are actually in the middle of redoing many parts of the site, our shipping call outs included. Your frustration is shared by others and even myself. If there is anything I can do to help please reach out to me and I'll try to assist.

-James

·
Registered
772 Posts
uhh direct ship means that the product you are interested in ships directly from that manufacture.....so in translation, if you were on ECS site and it said direct ship on the paddle shifters, then the ppl making the shifters would ship to you.ECS is acting as middle man and allowing you to see them and able to order it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
uhh direct ship means that the product you are interested in ships directly from that manufacture.....so in translation, if you were on ECS site and it said direct ship on the paddle shifters, then the ppl making the shifters would ship to you.ECS is acting as middle man and allowing you to see them and able to order it.
Like I said above, apparently you and several others here understand that. But it's not obvious to a folks who don't purchase from sites that use this terminology frequently and the "?" inline help also doesn't correlate with what you're saying, even if it is completely accurate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
torbach1 sorry about the issues and confusion. We are actually in the middle of redoing many parts of the site, our shipping call outs included. Your frustration is shared by others and even myself. If there is anything I can do to help please reach out to me and I'll try to assist.

-James
Thanks James.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.