VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (nrml)

Price is lower than UR simple "because" I assume... there are no specifics that I can think of. UR is one of the market leaders in design and fabrication. Their product is colorful, pretty, and was at one time the "premier" for the import scene. They are still innovators, but ECS found a local guy to make them dirt cheap for the same quality and fitiment. His savings passed on to us, I guess. Time for UR to face the fire of competition.
As for the guy asking about weight -- I've got a 6 lb 2 oz flywheel (it was just over 8lbs with ring gear) from Fidanza. Car drives dreamy... quick revs, quick spool -- its awesome!
Okay, looking good here.. I'll call Tom @ ECS tomorrow to finalize the GB, make sure he has enough in stock (or find out when he will), and we'll go from there. Should be NO PROBLEM based on this GREAT response.. I'll keep EVERYONE posted..

·
Registered
954 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (Shaka)

I was going to get pullies fitted last Friday @ ecs but my bug needs a special 30 pin tool to remove the alt. pulley... *sigh*. Anyway... count me in on this... hopefully Tom will let me jump in on this.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (VDUBBINDizzy)

Well I'm in (just got paid!).
Heres a question: how hard are they to put in? Can I do it? If not who on LI could do this?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (GLUVBUG)

Just to be 100% sure, the current crankshaft pulley is NOT a damper right? I know the question has been asked, but I can't remember if it was ever answered. If the original pulley is not a damper, then I would certainly pick up a set.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (Shaka)

Well.....need more info.
I'm kinda worried of ill effects to crank, bearings, etc....
Are they balance???....Any know long term problems???
Do they have them for 2003 Jetta 1.8T?
Pls. keep me [email protected]

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (CanadianGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well.....need more info.
I'm kinda worried of ill effects to crank, bearings, etc....
[HR][/HR]​
Like CAI's and hydrolock, it's a issue that is talked about a LOT, yet there is no widespread problem with pullies like this...or waterlogged intakes for that matter.
Here's something from UR's site (who sells a ton of them every day)
This is a fear many prospective owners have and it is a valid concern since we are dealing directly with the rotating assembly. It is, however, a fear with no basis in fact. The fact is that our pulleys have the opposite effect on engine bearings. The combination of tight tolerances, quality control, perfect balance, and dramatic weight loss versus the stock pulleys reduces the stress on your engine extends the total service life you can expect from your engine. Engine bearing problems are purely associated to poor engine maintenance, use of heavier than factory recommended oils, improper engine building practices which includes poor balancing, excessively revving engines when they are cold, and owners expecting their factory oil pumps to handle engine HP outputs 2-3 times over stock HP levels.
quote:[HR][/HR]Are they balance???....Any know long term problems???[HR][/HR]​
They are, and like the 1000's of applications before them, this "balance" issue hasn't been a real world problem.
quote:[HR][/HR]Do they have them for 2003 Jetta 1.8T?[HR][/HR]​
Everything on your 03 is basically the same as the 1.8T MY's before it...especially in the bolt-on world.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (CanadianGTI)

I answered my own question. In the Bentley manual it lists the crank pulley as "harmonic balancer/belt pulley". I don't doubt the positive effect lightening up this pulley would have on revability and power, but removing the damper can lead to many problems (abnormal bearing wear, damaged crank journals, etc...). I think this is one power mod I will have to pass on. I will instead donate the funds to purchase the Forge Intercooler from ECS

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (kudzu101)

<-- in.
btw.. any problems using these, less reliability for some reason or anything like that?

[Modified by Mhyrr, 11:26 PM 9-17-2002]

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Depends on the pros and cons, what are all the bad things that could happen and what are you all the good things that could happen, (example - Actual dyno numbers) if NO bad effects, I am in... still new to the 1.8T world..., plus I am NOT into the super stereo world anymore...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (kudzu101)

Just a little FYI.....( Not trying to piss on anybody's parade!)
I had a set of pullies on my 5.0 mustang that are similar to these and they worked great for added power but they also killed my alternator about every 5 months like clockwork. The smaller alternator pully cut it's life span dramaticaly due to it spinning the alternator motor at least double if not triple the amount of times the stock pully would. At the time it didn't bother me much because I have a buddy in the parts business who replaced it for free (only deals in american cars). I am sure the VW alternator is a better device but this would effect any car the same way over a period of time and I know that our alternators would probably cost double that of a mustang unit if a frequent failure occured!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (turbo02gti)

Im in. Turbo02gti is correct in his thoughts. But from what I've seen the ECS pullie for the alternator is the same size as stock or close to it. Its just got less metal to make it less weight. Jm5000 or Shaka have pic's, I think. Maybe I'm wrong.
Oh yeah Im in, I was going to order them next week as a matter of fact!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (turbo02gti)

quote:[HR][/HR]Just a little FYI.....( Not trying to piss on anybody's parade!)
I had a set of pullies on my 5.0 mustang that are similar to these and they worked great for added power but they also killed my alternator about every 5 months like clockwork. The smaller alternator pully cut it's life span dramaticaly due to it spinning the alternator motor at least double if not triple the amount of times the stock pully would. At the time it didn't bother me much because I have a buddy in the parts business who replaced it for free (only deals in american cars). I am sure the VW alternator is a better device but this would effect any car the same way over a period of time and I know that our alternators would probably cost double that of a mustang unit if a frequent failure occured!
[HR][/HR]​
While that may have applied for your mustang, it does not apply for our pulleys for the 1.8t's
The crank pulley is smaller & lighter BUT
the alternator pulley & P/S pulleys are larger than stock so that
their RPM is very similar to a stock car. Here are some pics to show everyone what I mean.

The gains on the alternator & p/s are because of weight not underdriving them.
Hope this info is helpful

[Modified by ECS Tuning-Tom, 4:46 AM 9-18-2002]

[Modified by ECS Tuning-Tom, 4:46 AM 9-18-2002]

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (ECS Tuning-Tom)

Well it's good to see that this has been thought of
, like I said I would hate to have to replace the VW unit on a frequent basis. What is the approx. weight reduction of your pullies compared to the stock units these parts are replacing?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

ECS Tuning-Tom i have a question about realiability do you guys garraunty(sp?) that these pullies wont break under any circumstance? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
<~~~~~~also interested in a set

oh yeah i aslo forgot to ask. do we need to change belts or do we reuse the factory belts http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
thanks

[Modified by Dad E FatSacks, 7:15 AM 9-18-2002]

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Re: ECS Tuning Underdrive Pullies - Interested in a Group Buy...?!?! (Dad E FatSacks)

I'm in. I probably won't use the crank pulley but I will definately use the other two. When, where and how do we do this?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.