VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An ECU Upgrade I would have to say is probably one of the best performance upgrades to buy. Its well worth the money for the amount of power and capability it outputs. Which obviously makes it ideal for the first mod.
Anyways, I have been researching and have come down to either GIAC or APR, they seem to be the most reliable. Yet I have read some information about problems occuring to cause the Check Engine light to occur. And other things like window regs going bad or coils packs dieing, ect.
The question is what have you guys gathered and experienced with upgrading your ECU. Are these problems or any probelms related to the chip or just coincidence. Whats your opinions and thoughts. Im very interested in finding out, and figured you guys might have some experiences and information. Thanks

[Modified by gtijba, 12:43 PM 1-26-2003]

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Re: ECU Question (gtijba)

From my knowledge, the window regs have been fixed for 2003 as well as the Monsoon problem. We are good to go. The current pitfall is the coilpack. That alone is the problem. I don't think it has to do with anything else or even related to ECUs. Blame it on the manufacturer for doing a piss poor job.
The chip is the "best bang for your buck". Your car will drive much differently after an upgrade no matter which brand you choose. This is a good thing. Power is there when you need it. My car was chipped at 1817 miles on the odo. I'm a little over 3000 miles now. So far no CELs or other problems.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: ECU Question (allan r)

allan r

quote:[HR][/HR]do you suppose it'll take 15 years to fix the coils like it did to get a better window reg?[HR][/HR]​

The world may never know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts