VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm still tring to figure out some very odd cold running issue with my car. So... If the ECU Relay goes bad could it send false info to the ecu etc and screw up the motor? Or would it not run at all?
Thanks,
Dan J. Kraus

[email protected]

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: ECU Relay... If it goes bad would the car run? (D_Kraus_Dirtbiker)

the ecu relay powers the ecu. So if it goes bad it will cause mayhem (not run).

·
Registered
808 Posts

I have seen the ECU relays go intermittent. Great when cold but start to play up as they get hotter. Usually 'dry'/bad soldered joints inside. Try taking the case off and look for dull joints. Shiny joints are good ones. Touch up all the dull ones with a soldering iron and a bit of fresh solder. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Or buy a new relay.
Gavin

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Re: ECU Relay... If it goes bad would the car run? (H100VW)

My ECU relay worked off and on, made the car run like ass. Just get a new one, they're like $10.

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
Re: ECU Relay... If it goes bad would the car run? (sold on expense)

Quote, originally posted by sold on expense »
My ECU relay worked off and on, made the car run like ass. Just get a new one, they're like $10.

Yup, cheap enough just to test. When my relay went out, the ECU kept getting fried

Brian

·
Registered
13,009 Posts

Might as well try the dealer for a part that cheap, maybe they'll even have one in stock.
Brian

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: ECU Relay... If it goes bad would the car run? (g60pops)

given that all CE2 cars use the same relay i'd say you're pretty safe in walking into any junkyard/vw parts place and finding this.
I don't understand why vw used some standard (bosch generic $1) style relays then some special ones, which really don't server any purpose other than to look different, cost more.
vw makes no sense sometimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts