VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I don't know if this is possible, but I'm wondering if EDL is able to be disabled through soft coding in VAG-COM. I think it's a big issue with the newer MKIV models, but wasn't sure if there was anything us old-timers could do about it.
Thanks,
-Wayne

·
Registered
27,736 Posts
Re: EDL Disable (Darren_1303)

I'm sure you can remove a fuse. OBD1 isn't that sophisticated. It usually stops working on it's own after 12 years.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: EDL Disable (vdubjb)

It's run off the ABS system, not the car's main computer.
Essentially, the ABS is tuned to kick in like normal ABS, but also when a front wheel starts spinning (to slow it down and let it get traction again.)
To disable it, you basically have to disable your ABS (remove the fuse to do it temporarially) or switch to pre-EDL ABS.
-Nate

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: EDL Disable (Darren_1303)

Quote, originally posted by Darren_1303 »
isn't that Electronic Differential Lock?
Something they introduced on the MkIVs?

Yup. I believe most Corrado's with ABS had this handy feature. Most people just just call it traction control. You notice it in the snow--you can hear the ABS pump ticking away when one wheel is zinging along. The system applies the brakes to the wheel that's spinning like any other traction control system. I worry that if I pull the fuse, it'll take out the whole ABS system as well.
-Wayne

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Re: EDL Disable (Wayne92SLC)

Never heard to it referred to as EDL on an SLC. I don't think it can be disabled on our cars without disabling the abs altogether.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Re: EDL Disable (Wayne92SLC)

maybe you can look at the EDL switch in the MkIV GTIs/NB Turbos. I know they have a button to disable it.
If they have a button, maybe you can modify that system to work with yours?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts