VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/48102/article.html
"...........if this is what we can expect from the company in the future, the competition had better get back to the drawing boards and start burning the midnight oil. The 2002 Altima flat out rocks, impressing our staff so much that we voted it our Most Wanted Midsize Sedan under $30,000. ."
".......blazing 6.3-second 0-to-60 mph time. That's incredibly quick for a vehicle that is masquerading as a mainstream family sedan. Our Altima 3.5 SE also ran the quarter-mile in 14.9 seconds at 96.5 mph"
"....Similarly, the suspension setup results in confidence-inspiring handling, allowing the front-wheel-drive Altima to beat a recently tested Mustang GT and nearly equal the vaunted BMW M3 in the slalom run. With a front strut and multilink independent rear suspension that incorporates aluminum components to save weight, we found body dive, squat and roll well controlled, with a nice blend of sporty stiffness and comfy compliance on tap during most driving situations. "
"We wish we could report that our test Altima was flawlessly assembled, but that was not the case, at least on the inside. The lower right dash panel was loose and poorly aligned, we found the finish inside the passenger door pull to be chipped, the center console wiggled and waggled quite easily, the front door armrest inserts were unevenly assembled, and we felt that center stack panel fit on the lower passenger side was sloppy. We also detected an irritating rattle in the rear parcel shelf and the front passenger seat squeaked over rough pavement."
"Though the 2002 Nissan Altima isn't perfect (what car is?), Nissan has unquestionably created a new benchmark in the midsize sedan class. Nothing it competes with can touch its alluring combination of style, performance, size, feature content and value in a single package. Affordable luxury, indeed."
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by randy, 8:34 PM 11-27-2001]

[Modified by randy, 8:35 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Re: Edmunds.com Review: 2002 Nissan Altima "Most Wanted Sedan under $30,000" (randy)

I love the new Altima, it can be nothing less than a smash-outta-the-park home run.
Plus it is downright sexy in black 3.5SE form.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Edmunds.com Review: 2002 Nissan Altima "Most Wanted Sedan under $30,000" (mtrainVR6)

Altezza lights = http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Interior = http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Suspension = http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Engine = http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Re: Edmunds.com Review: 2002 Nissan Altima "Most Wanted Sedan under $30,000" (LelloBeetle)

Actually from what I've read so far, the suspension gets a " http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif " from most of the auto scribes. Certainly is a match (if not better in the squat/dive department) than the Passat.
Love the engine too. Though I've also read in other reports that the 5 speed linkage is less than stellar.
My only gripes with it are it's cost-cutting interior bits, it's Altezza-style taillights, and some option package quibbles (you can't get traction control w/ the manual tranny, for instance).
Otherwise, it's great to see a reasonably priced sedan being brought to market that's reasonably refined and also has enough power to play with Mustang GT's.
Joe C.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: Edmunds.com Review: 2002 Nissan Altima "Most Wanted Sedan under $30,000" (randy)

The only big problems (performance/handling wise) seem to be the lack of steering feel and the torque steer. If they could change the steering rack and front suspension geometry, (and yes, I also don't like the tail/lighting design or the cheaper interior) Nissan might have a Passat killer on their hands. The potential is definitely there.

[Modified by catalytic, 7:14 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
11,026 Posts

...until the Mazda 6 comes out.

·
Banned
6,574 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] "We wish we could report that our test Altima was flawlessly assembled, but that was not the case, at least on the inside. The lower right dash panel was loose and poorly aligned, we found the finish inside the passenger door pull to be chipped, the center console wiggled and waggled quite easily, the front door armrest inserts were unevenly assembled, and we felt that center stack panel fit on the lower passenger side was sloppy. We also detected an irritating rattle in the rear parcel shelf and the front passenger seat squeaked over rough pavement."
"Affordable luxury, indeed."
[Modified by randy, 8:35 PM 11-27-2001][HR][/HR]​

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Re: Edmunds.com Review: 2002 Nissan Altima "Most Wanted Sedan under $30,000" (catalytic)

quote:[HR][/HR]The only big problems (performance/handling wise) seem to be the lack of steering feel and the torque steer. If they could change the steering rack and front suspension geometry, (and yes, I also don't like the tail/lighting design or the cheaper interior) Nissan might have a Passat killer on their hands. The potential is definitely there.

[Modified by catalytic, 7:14 AM 11-28-2001][HR][/HR]​
Erm, it's already a Passat killer.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: Edmunds.com Review: 2002 Nissan Altima "Most Wanted Sedan under $30,000" (alfafan)

hopefully nissan will alemoriate the cheapness of the interior soon enough. that's the one thing holding this car back, and if they fix it up it will appeal more to buyers.
okay another question for all of you. does road salt pose a greater problem to the aluminum suspension?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Re: Edmunds.com Review: 2002 Nissan Altima "Most Wanted Sedan under $30,000" (alfafan)

quote:[HR][/HR]Erm, it's already a Passat killer.[HR][/HR]​
I guess it would be for most people. Out of the box, bang for the buck, the Altima is indeed a class leader. However, I would gladly trade 30 HP for better steering feel. It's just something that is so addictive. All that power and no steering feel makes me feel like I'm driving a Caddy STS. Sure, you got 300 HP from the Northstar V8, but I'd rather be driving a 168 HP BMW 320i.
I'd still buy a Passat, because you can always add more power and mod the suspension. You can't, however, modify the Altima to improve its steering feel or torque steer. The Altima also doesn't offer the option of all wheel drive.

[Modified by catalytic, 10:39 AM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
13,050 Posts

If this car is as great as Edmunds makes it out to be, why did it place third in the C&D sedan comparo last month?
Its a great looking car with great power and a tremendous step forward for Nissan and their rosey future.
-jamie

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Re: Edmunds.com Review: 2002 Nissan Altima "Most Wanted Sedan under $30,000" (vwvortex1)

quote:[HR][/HR]If this car is as great as Edmunds makes it out to be, why did it place third in the C&D sedan comparo last month?
-jamie[HR][/HR]​
b/c it's not a Honda or BMW

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Re: Edmunds.com Review: 2002 Nissan Altima "Most Wanted Sedan under $30,000" (maskedSONY)

quote:[HR][/HR]hopefully nissan will alemoriate the cheapness of the interior[HR][/HR]​
That sounds painful

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts
Re: Edmunds.com Review: 2002 Nissan Altima "Most Wanted Sedan under $30,000" (vwvortex1)

quote:[HR][/HR]If this car is as great as Edmunds makes it out to be, why did it place third in the C&D sedan comparo last month?
[HR][/HR]​
I reread that test yesterday. The top 3 cars are separated by only one point in the subjective voting (whatever that means.) Bedard also wrote that the Nissan was the only one that really begged you to sneak down to the garage and take the car out for a drive....
Got to drive one soon, and with the free Kenneth Cole watch/briefcase Altima test-drive offer I just got in the mail, I'll be heading to the Nissan dealer soon....
Why can't Nissan build a wagon? I'd REALLY like a G35 wagon....
Tom

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

I liked Edmunds review of the Altima, I think it is very close to what I took away after driving the 2.5L. Nissan just needs to spend a few more $$ on the interior materials and they have themselves mid-size sedan grand slam.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,558 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]If this car is as great as Edmunds makes it out to be, why did it place third in the C&D sedan comparo last month?[HR][/HR]​
The article made it quite clear that the Altima was the best choice for the enthusiast driver.
I'm still annoyed that they did not have a Passat V6 in that comparison. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,334 Posts

-jamie[HR][/HR]​
Because at least CD knows that 0-60 times are not the be-all and end-all when it comes to making a well-rounded vehicle.

·
Registered
27,736 Posts

Always some idiot complaining about a tester, lol. You give your car to journalists for a few days and check for fit and finish!

·
Banned
2,136 Posts

The benchmark for this category (Japanese) remains the Honda Accord, as C&D wrote in their last issue. I guess they prepared the ground for putting it again in their 10Best.
The Altima is an horrible car, in and out, and will fade fast, once more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts