1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
Re: Edmunds Full-Size Truck Comparo (spidy)

Too bad sales don't reflect that 1st place finish by Nissan.

G

·
Re: Edmunds Full-Size Truck Comparo (VeeDubDriver)

Give it time. As the word gets out, Nissan's sales will increase. Remember, too, that a quick glance at the sales numbers does not tell the full story. Just because Ford says they sell 850,000 F-Series does not mean they outsold the Titan 14:1. Those sales numbers include 2500- and 3500-series trucks, which Nissan doesn't offer--yet.
What I'm really excited about are all the updates Nissan has planned for the 2005 MY starting this Fall.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: Edmunds Full-Size Truck Comparo (bgluckman)

That is an impressive victory for the Titan, I agree that over time sales will "pick-up"...

·
Registered
8,141 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »
Give it time. As the word gets out, Nissan's sales will increase. Remember, too, that a quick glance at the sales numbers does not tell the full story. Just because Ford says they sell 850,000 F-Series does not mean they outsold the Titan 14:1. Those sales numbers include 2500- and 3500-series trucks, which Nissan doesn't offer--yet.
What I'm really excited about are all the updates Nissan has planned for the 2005 MY starting this Fall.

What are the updates apart from the diff locker?

Nissans ben pretty good with listening to consumer demands lately. Within the first year of hte G35, they fixed a few complaints (that ugly box on the taillid). With the 350Z, they fixed the a few interior mishaps (made a motorized flip-up cover for the nav unit). For the FX series, they softened up the suspension and fixed the passenger seats..
Kudos to them, they are actually listening to what the customer wants.

G

·
Re: Edmunds Full-Size Truck Comparo (mAdD INDIAN)

From what I understand, 2005 will see the diff locker, numerous interior upgrades for a better feel, and the addition of a full roll-down rear window a la the Toyota Tundra. 2006 brings the Cummins Diesel and possibly a 2500-series truck.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,226 Posts

If Nissan can just get domestic truck buyer to come in and actually DRIVE one I think they will sell, sell sell. I haven't read one review that was anything less then stellar.
Quote, originally posted by Edmunds »

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews....html
The Titan didn't just win this test, it ran away with it. Such a result might seem like an improbable upset, but the numbers speak for themselves. It cleaned up at the test track, had the second lowest sticker price, offered the most desirable features and was every editor's number-one recommended pick. This wasn't the case of an upstart contender putting together a few key assets to slip into first place. No, this was the story of a truck that was built to beat the domestics at their own game and succeeded.
To see how the Titan pulled off the win, look no further than its performance at the test track. Truck owners love to talk numbers and the Titan turned in top results in nearly every category. Its 0-to-60-mph time of 7.7 seconds was a full half second ahead of the second-place Dodge, and when it was loaded down with a 6,000-pound trailer and three passengers, it extended its lead over the Ram to nearly three seconds (16.8 vs. 19.5). Test notes revealed that the Titan got off the line faster than every other truck in the test, unloaded or not, and maintained a strong, virtually uninterrupted pull thanks to seamless shifts from its five-speed gearbox.
Speed against the clock is one thing, but real-world performance is another, and the Titan didn't disappoint there, either. With the trailer hooked up and the same full load of passengers on board, the Titan powered its way up a 7 percent grade faster than every other truck except the Dodge (the Ram managed a slightly higher top speed up the same pass). When there isn't three tons of trailer slowing it down, the Titan literally tears around city streets with a level of speed and sound matched only by the Ram's equally powerful Hemi engine. One editor summed up the Titan's burly character with this simple observation: "After years of driving trucks designed to feel like cars, the Titan reminds you of what a real truck is supposed to feel like."
The Titan proved to be equally adept where there were no streets, as it was generally regarded as the most capable truck in the dirt as well. Not only did its heavy-duty shocks and oversized tires do a great job of keeping the big truck on track, but it also showed more subtle capabilities like manual gear selection for the automatic transmission and ultralow transfer case gears that slowed it to a crawl even on the steepest descents. Our early-production truck didn't have it, but the Titan will also add a push-button rear differential locker to its off-road repertoire later in the model year. Four-wheel enthusiasts should also note that while Nissan offers its off-road package on all trim levels of the Titan, both Dodge and Ford force you into the higher-line crew cab models before it's even an option.

That says a LOT. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Re: Edmunds Full-Size Truck Comparo (Sporin)

Quote, originally posted by Sporin »
If Nissan can just get domestic truck buyer to come in and actually DRIVE one I think they will sell, sell sell. I haven't read one review that was anything less then stellar.

I agree.
Some mitigating factors:

• "That thang ain't 'Murican". Huge barrier to entry for some. Not P.C. to say, but I think that's part of it.M.
  • "That's not a __________" (insert one of Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota). Trucks have huge owner loyalty. Breaking into that market cold is no easy task. It's going to take Toyota 3 iterations (T100, Tundra, and whatever's next) to get there fully. Nissan should be lauded that they've got an immediate contender, especially considering the Frontier is nothing special.
  • Lack of configurability. I'd be all over one of these things in a single cab with a manual transmission, and with a smaller V8. You can tailor a domestic truck to your exact application (towing, hauling, offroad, poseur), but not the Titan. Two configurations and 3 trim levels is all you get. (of course I'm also pissed off you can't get the F150 in a manual tranny, either)

• Incentives. Especially in GM's case, the Titan is $3-5k more than the competition. Of course, this is an artifical, temporary situation: If the domestics can't make money on trucks, they're out of business.

Nissan has huge buzz, much like Dodge did when it came out of nowhere with the '94 Ram, or Chevy with its Duramax engine. Word of mouth from new owners and great reviews should help it climb over the hump.

Modified by HarryC at 1:16 PM 5-21-2004

G

·
Re: Edmunds Full-Size Truck Comparo (HarryC)

Quote, originally posted by HarryC »
"That's not a __________" (insert one of Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota). Trucks have huge owner loyalty. Breaking into that market cold is no easy task. It's going to take Toyota 3 iterations (T100, Tundra, and whatever's next) to get there fully. Nissan should be lauded that they've got an immediate contender, especially considering the Frontier is nothing special.

Well, it should be noted that the first two generations of Tundra pretty much sucked. Also, the new Frontier looks to be as good as the Titan.
Lack of configurability. I'd be all over one of these things in a single cab with a manual transmission, and with a smaller V8. You can tailor a domestic truck to your exact application (towing, hauling, offroad, poseur), but not the Titan. Two configurations and 3 trim levels is all you get. (of course I'm also pissed off you can't get the F150 in a manual tranny, either)

While the Titan doesn't offer all the configurations of the domestics (key word: yet), it does offer what something like 85% of buyers want. Single cabs and manual transmissions make up a very small percentage of full-size truck sales--which is why Ford dropped both from its line-up, too.
Incentives. Especially in GM's case, the Titan is $3-5k more than the competition. Of course, this is an artifical, temporary situation: If the domestics can't make money on trucks, they're out of business

Here's the thing, though: all the big incentives haven't stopped market share erosion in the passenger sedan sector, where the Japanese are only offering a fraction of what US makes have. Why should it be any different here?
I do still think the biggest hurdle will simply be getting domestic drivers to try a Nissan. That said, I think once they do, they'll love it. And I think this Nissan is going to pave the way for the next-generation Tundra as well as the forthcoming Kia Mojave (which is going forward as a full-size pick-up).

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

Also, the new Frontier looks to be as good as the Titan.

Yes, indeed it does. VQ40DE available with a 5-speed automatic or 6-speed manual transmission, plus most of the neat utility and safety features found on the Titan. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Re: Edmunds Full-Size Truck Comparo (DrewSXR)

I wonder why they tested the 5.3L from the Chevy with the option engines in the rest of the trucks. I know that the 5.6 in the Titan is the only oprion, but the Ram had the HEMI, and the Ford had the 5.4L.
I would have forgone the Z-71 Package ($4000+), the XM Radio 9$325) and the rear entertainment system ($1,295) and opted for the 6.0L V8. I think that would have made things a little different or maybe a bit more fair in the performance comparo.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

I can get an F-250 4x4 for less than a Titan and I can get manual transmission instead of Auto which I regard as a maintenance cost, a durability issue and a driveability nightmare.
No manual? No sale!
But I need to be doing less miles before I seriously consider buying a gas guzzling monster. I came very close to an F-250 turbo diesel before I found the 6.0s are having fuel injection problems.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Re: Edmunds Full-Size Truck Comparo (Geordie)

Quote, originally posted by Geordie »
But I need to be doing less miles before I seriously consider buying a gas guzzling monster. I came very close to an F-250 turbo diesel before I found the 6.0s are having fuel injection problems.

Yeah, they're having lots of teething issues with the 6.0. Makes great power, though.
Really wish Ford would hurry with that light-duty diesel for the F150. (and yes, with a 6-speed manual!)

·
Registered
801 Posts

2006 brings the Cummins Diesel

So Cummins will sell its guns to more than one belligerent?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts