VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edmunds just released the their test of the Touareg V6 TDI and claim it's SUV perfection and I would have to agree. It's luxurious, practical, can tow a house, good on road, capable off-road, gets great millage for and SUV and it's relatively inexpensive. It's a shame many manufacturers have decided to can their diesel plans. But I think there are more politics behind this than anything else. Glad to see VW is not completely bending over

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswa....html

Modified by koko12 at 12:20 PM 7-10-2009

·
Registered
24,098 Posts
FV-QR

Touareg, btw

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
40,583 Posts
FV-QR

looks perfect, way way out of my price range though.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: FV-QR (Sporin)

Quote, originally posted by Sporin »

Same for me, but maybe down the road if I ever need an SUV i could pick up an use one., for Now i'll settle for a diesel Rabbit/golf. Now only if VW would give us that as well.

Modified by koko12 at 12:31 PM 7-10-2009

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
Re: FV-QR (koko12)

Quote, originally posted by koko12 »

Same for me, but maybe down the road if I ever need an SUV i could pick up an use one., for Now i'll settle for a diesel Rabbit/golf. Now only if VW would give us that as well.
Modified by koko12 at 12:31 PM 7-10-2009

Should be in the works.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
24,173 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Sporin)

Quote, originally posted by Sporin »

Which one, cost to buy, or cost to maintain? They're about the same.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Re: (ATL_Av8r)

Quote, originally posted by ATL_Av8r »
have they worked out the gremlins in these guys? The wife is itching for an SUV and I would like to go either hybrid or diesel.

I had a 06 & traded it in with 150,000 miles...I drive from NY to LA a lot for work & now I have a 08' with 34,500 miles...only problem on both was a faulty tire pressure sensor. Other then that I couldn't be happier. Overall great trucks.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Moodyblues)

Quote, originally posted by Moodyblues »
20mpg for their 2000 mile test run?
Thanks, but no thanks. Why is the mileate so terrible?

Because it's grossly overweight given the size of the vehicle.

My co-worker has a V10 TDI.....great ride. Too bad they don't offer than engine anymore.

·
Registered
50,320 Posts

·
Registered
19,725 Posts
:shrug:
I've got a lot of seat time in the Q7 TDI (larger, heavier, exact same engine) and I've seen plenty of tanks in the 22-27 mpg range.
Even in stop & go city driving, I'm above 20 mpg.
Who knows what happened, but it's possible to do much better without trying too hard. I can guarantee that.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts

Unless they were towing or the mountains are huge, that isn't very good. My wife's monsterous '05 Pathfinder recently returned 21mpg on a Lake Placid weekend trip, and there be hills out that way.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Re: (LordBass)

I'm just curious why. Even though I enjoy making fun of the diesel weenies on this board, I'm seriously considering the A3 diesel depending on how they price it when it arrives. But if the mileage isn't much better than petrol, there is no way I'd sacrifice 50hp vs. the petrol four and the convenience of gas (more stations, less grime).
Also curious about the GLK and if MB will offer a diesel in that. They seem to have more success with their mileage IIRC.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Moodyblues)

Thanks, but no thanks. Why is the mileate so terrible?

20mpg with a slew of people beating the crap out of the toy of the week is not bad at all in my book. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
44,847 Posts
FV-QR

Great. Now put that drivetrain in a right-sized, unibody crossover package. I'd dig the offroad performance, but something the size of a Ford Edge would be way more appropriate.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,622 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Turbiodiesel!)

Quote, originally posted by Turbiodiesel! »
Great. Now put that drivetrain in a right-sized, unibody crossover package. I'd dig the offroad performance, but something the size of a Ford Edge would be way more appropriate.

They are actually very closely sized according to data on edmunds. The interior in the edge is an inch or two bigger than the t-reg in a couple of areas and similar in others. They are the same width, but the T-reg is 2 inches longer and 1 inch taller. The t-reg also carries 1 cu ft more cargo. The difference between the t-reg and edge really is not that much. It's not like comparing a Rav4 with a tahoe for example. If I was looking for something around the size of an edge, but could afford the TDI T-reg, I'd get that in a second.
In a few years, a used t-reg TDI would make a great tow vehicle to take the corrado to track days! I'll have to keep my eye open for these in the next few years.

Modified by 6cylVWguy at 4:31 PM 7-10-2009

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Turbiodiesel!)

Quote, originally posted by Turbiodiesel! »

Bingo. The true benefits of the diesel would be in the next size class down -- Q5, XC60, etc. Hell, if Subaru would put a boxer diesel in the Forester, I'd be first in line.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.