VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw a small vid clip about this during lunch today and I never knew about it. Besides the TT having a new v6 it has a new tranny as well.
Its your standard auto box with a + and - gate for up and downshifts.
In addition they have the paddle shifts too.
Now whats different is when using the paddle shift the power goes through two clutches, one inside of another.
Whats this mean? Seemless shifts that are quicker and more efficient.
The idea is nothing new...........many companies have had these for a while........but so see and more importantly hear this thing shift was impressive. Even Ferrari's 360 modena paddle shift technology is cited as being a lag induced travisty.
So who can tell me more? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Educate me! New Tranny : Audi TT (twan)

Go to the VW Vortex site. There is a whole big long article about the 3.2TT and DSG at the time of its introduction. You can also get information about DSG from the Audi web site.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: Educate me! New Tranny : Audi TT (twan)

I edjuhmucated myself by going to the dealer and driving one. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: Educate me! New Tranny : Audi TT (cleisr)

basically the box drives one clutch in a current gear with the next clutch already engaging the next upshift gear, if you're on the gas. if you're on the brakes, it's grabing the next gear to be downshifted into.
ends up being 0.2sec quicker than a human.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Re: Educate me! New Tranny : Audi TT (M this 1!)

The big benefit is that power is always applied and the other automated manuals like the SMG from BMW and the ferrari box, have to stop power for a fraction of a second to change the gear. The DSG works very well in automatic mode too, I actually think that this gearbox can replace the tiptronic unit without a problem it is that good in automatic mode, something that other manufacturers haven't been able to do very well.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Re: Educate me! New Tranny : Audi TT (Giancarlo)

The DSG rocks. I can tell you from experience. Since there's no torque converter, you definitely feel a "mechanical" linkage between the engine and the road. The engine braking is very similar to a manual with a traditional clutch. It does/did take a little getting used-to, but now it rocks when I am getting on it. I also can't say anything about reliability (only 3K on the clock).
I have been practicing the heel-toe/double-clutch method on the various manuals that I have owned. I now do it without thinking on my GLI, and I really enjoy it. (I know some people don't even know what I am talking about, but for those that do...). The DSG may not be as "engaging" or "involved" as a manual, and you can't control clutch slippage, but it surely is better for high performance driving. Since you don't have to concentrate on executing the shift, you can concentrate more on other things like when to shift, when to brake, when to gas, what line to take, etc.
One final note... It is nice having paddles and +/- gates on the floor shifter. The shifter is nice for accelerating from a stop when the wheel is turned, and the paddles are nice when wanting to keep both hands in the wheel during twisties.
The sound is great when it shifts, and it is quick!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts