VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mk3 99 gti with silver arrow paint. Due to the recent storm here in portland oregon i wasnt able to get the car under my car port behind my apartment. So its been snowed on and iced over, the paint is in really good shape. I have been worrying that its going to have an effect on my paint (maybe 3 days exposure). Anyone clue me in if its going to dull my paint, its just this one time and is usually sheltered when not in use. Also any tips for after the snow and ice go away to help replenish it.
Thanks

· Registered
516 Posts
Re: Effect of ice and snow on paint (00silvergls)

What really wreaks havoc on the paint and the underbody especially is the road salt. Since you didn't take it out on the road, it wasn't exposed to the salts and so it was just covered under snow. It's the first time, and it's just water in the end, so you should be fine. I would definitely wash it now, if possible, but I would do that had it rained on it for three days.

I used to live on Long Island, so I know about snow.
I miss snow sometimes, but not when I think of the mess of shoveling it, the slush, and what it does to your car. lol

· Registered
906 Posts
Re: Effect of ice and snow on paint (nuclearaddict)

Just make CERTAIN you are careful if you use any sort of snow brush to remove the snow from your car. Personally, I prefer to use a brush on the windows only and use a gloved hand on the paint. Whatever doesn't come off because it's too frozen will melt once the car warms up. If you have to use a brush, I'd recommend one from OXO. They tend to be very paint finish friendly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.