VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy idea?
Does GM really need more upscale SUV brands, with GMC, Buick, and Cadillac already being SUV/CUV heavy?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-17/gm-is-thinking-about-building-an-electric-hummer

A zero-emission Hummer sounds as paradoxical as non-alcoholic whiskey, but General Motors Co. is mulling over the idea of building an electric vehicle that would bring the defunct gas-guzzling brand back to life.
For now, it’s just an idea GM is considering as it plans which vehicles will be included in a fleet of electrified SUVs and trucks, say people familiar with the matter. The Hummer name has surfaced as way to tap growing demand for rugged SUVs with off-road capabilities, while avoiding the gasoline-burning image that made the brand something of a pariah a decade ago, said the people, who asked not to be named because the conversations are private.

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts
Stupid idea

BEVs are all about efficiency. Heavy bricks are basically the opposite

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stupid idea

BEVs are all about efficiency. Heavy bricks are basically the opposite
With all of the recent news about electric pick-ups and electric semis, it would seem the efficiency aspect is becoming secondary. An electric H2 or H3 should be no less efficient than Rivian’s upcoming electric SUVs.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
The only way this works is if GM puts a huge amount of effort into rehabbing Hummer's image - something they have a poor track record of. They have an even poorer track record of execution in general, and I am not sure the Hummer brand is malleable enough to switch from being the pariah of excess to a beacon of green mobility.

Here's a crazy idea: Why not introduce a GMC sub brand for EV mobility? GMC arguably has a more upscale image, is more flexible around what it could be, and they could spin up a green sub brand like Toyota did with Scion.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
With all of the recent news about electric pick-ups and electric semis, it would seem the efficiency aspect is becoming secondary. An electric H2 or H3 should be no less efficient than Rivian’s upcoming electric SUVs.
This. I think GM is just trying to get ahead of the curve before other brands put something like an electric hummer in the market. I think a modern take on an H2 or H3 that is electric will certainly sell. This to me would be no different than if Land Rover said you could get an electric version of the discovery or defender. Eventually I think everything including large trucks will be electric or have a electric option.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Only if we can get Olds back with a full EV Cutlass.

I don't mind this idea, I'm all for electric SUV's, maybe it will get people talking since it's kind of an interesting oxymoron, the idea of an EV hummer.

I still see a lot of mint hummers driving around, I think people who were able to get into them liked them a lot.

What happens to GMC though?

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
I think it's a good idea. Certainly better than the 5.3L gas-guzzling half shaft snapping penis-enhancing H2. Those were horrible.

At least this one won't run on dinosaurs.

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only way this works is if GM puts a huge amount of effort into rehabbing Hummer's image - something they have a poor track record of. They have an even poorer track record of execution in general, and I am not sure the Hummer brand is malleable enough to switch from being the pariah of excess to a beacon of green mobility.

Here's a crazy idea: Why not introduce a GMC sub brand for EV mobility? GMC arguably has a more upscale image, is more flexible around what it could be, and they could spin up a green sub brand like Toyota did with Scion.
I agree 100%.
GM is horrible at managing its existing brands, so I have not hope for them to successfully reintroduce a formally damaged brand.
Considering this, it seems like GMC is a better home for GM's off-road image ambitions, especially at the higher pricepoint that comes with BEVs.
GMC is very successful at selling high price Denali trim levels of its SUVs, and the brand already has a more "rugged" positioning with the "Professional Grade" tagline.
Just use Hummer-like styling, with GMC/Denali badges.

·
Registered
12,549 Posts
I don't see a need for this. They should just let GMC have whatever they are planning for HUMMER.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I think it's a good idea. Certainly better than the 5.3L gas-guzzling half shaft snapping penis-enhancing H2. Those were horrible.

At least this one won't run on dinosaurs.
H2's were based on the 3/4T chassis and only had 6.0L engines I thought. They certainly are ugly. The H1 design transferred to the H3 much better.

On topic, I don't hate the idea. Saturn could come back as little electric cars too.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
On topic, I don't hate the idea. Saturn could come back as little electric cars too.
man I like that idea. If they came out with a Saturn EV-2, it would rattle all the jimmies.

They could also just call it the GMC Hummer and nobody would be the wiser.
good point. I don't think the Hummer brand had much of a following anyway. I think they should just make an H1-inspired GMC.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
The only way this works is if GM puts a huge amount of effort into rehabbing Hummer's image ... I am not sure the Hummer brand is malleable enough to switch from being the pariah of excess to a beacon of green mobility.

Plot twist: wouldn't it be great to get people to into EV's with a rugged, american vehicle like the Hummer brand? The fact that it's electric could just be a secondary aspect, and mostly likely would not be the main selling point. The H2 and H3 (better) were build on existing platforms; what if they had their own to make the styling and efficiency better?

GM has an e-bike/moped brand called ARIV.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
I don't hate the idea either. If the Tesla truck is supposed to be as big as it is, then you have the rivian and whatever else a stand alone brand with a big image might just work for this.

Saturn is a logical EV brand, but I don't think works for trucks, so saturn cars and hummer trucks kind of works.

The issue I see with GMC in my opinion they have 2 buyers, company fleets and the guy who owns the company buying the fleet. This is not the market yet for EV buyers and the timing for getting a GM EV truck on the road might not be aligned right with convincing GMC customers that the future is BEV. Yes the prius driver gone bolt buyer is not necessarily the first person you picture buying a hummer but if Hummer is just an EV brand it might be easier for that person to align with it than a GMC, for now.

1 - 20 of 383 Posts