VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! in the extreme cold over the last couple of days (-25C or -10F)... i was getting an electrical burning smell coming from the engine comparment... i only noticed it after getting out of the vehicle... don't know where it's coming from ? car is running fine otherwise.

· Registered
18,473 Posts
Re: electrical burning smell in extreme canadian cold (AndreVR6)

Are you sure its electrical?
Homemade Ultraviolet Leak Detector posted by Steve Ringlee Saturday, 24 July 1999.
I finally got fed up with the unexplained oil leak from my kids' much-abused car and decided to diagnose whence it came. I went to NAPA and bought a small bottle of fluorescent dye for engine oil (they make one for coolant, oil, ATF, freon depending on your leak.) This cost $3. Then I went to Walmart and picked up a small AC-powered GE Blacklight for kids' rooms, the kind that emits UV light. This was $10, although I could have bought the big BrightStik for $22 which would have illuminated better. We cleaned the engine at the carwash, poured the dye into the oil, ran it for about 15 minutes and played the lamp around the bottom of the engine while it was on ramps. Sure enough, main seal gone: you could see a dim outline of orange fluorescent dye where the oil was dripping along the block. It outlines the oil trace much better and you can see where it is coming from. Neat.

· Registered
101 Posts
Re: electrical burning smell in extreme canadian cold (AndreVR6)

dont know if this helps but the other day my parking brake did not fully disengage because of the cold and the hot brakes had a similar odor as burning electronics.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Re: (MrVrSix)

i was having that same e-brake problem last winter whenever it was extremely cold out, but would release after 15 min. of driving..... didn't do anything to it except change rear brake bads in the summer. it's been quite a few cold days so far this winter and no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.