VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Haven't been on here in a while. I have a VW again. This time a 2008 VW Passat Komfort Wagon 2L turbo. Got it from an auction with a drained battery.

Tried jump starting it but it turned very slowly. Charged the battery overnight. It measured 11.56V or something like that. Once I connected it, before doing anything or trying to start, it immediately measured 10.46V

It looks like the battery is being drained somehow while the car is entirely off. I wasn't able to start it just like the night before. It is not a flooded vehicle but it had had the right front wheel bent and the tire cut, so it probably went over a curb.

I will try to identify anything visible but first looks showed no visible electrical damage.

So my question (for those that don't feel like reading the paragraphs above) - WHERE DO I START WITH DIAGNOSING AN ELECTRICAL LEAK?

Don't you just hate problems that you can't see. Oh and I have ordered a VAG-COM, so it should be here in a few days and I will check for diagnostic codes in the meantime.

·
Registered
646 Posts
well, it isn't the most mechanical way to go about things, but you can pull a fuse one at a time and measure current draw while the car is completely off, and see if you find something there. Any multimeter should do the job. I don't know if or how close that will get you to finding the problem, but if you are having an electricity issue, measuring the easy to get to terminals may help locate the problem =)

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
First step should be to get the battery tested. Could have a dead cell, and no longer able to hold a charge.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Your battery is dead. A fully discharged car battery will read ~11.9 VDC (~12.7 VDC is fully charged). If you're only getting the battery UP to 11.5 VDC after hours on a charger, it needs to be replaced.

yup, swap out a known working battery or have yours tested. 11.x volts is pretty low. It should be around 14v
The alternator puts out ~14 VDC to charge the battery, so you should only see that if the car is running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.