VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Jetta GLX.
The other night (Saturday) when we got home and I turned the ignition off and the lights were still on I could hear a buzzing sound through the tweeters...
So, I turned the lights off and then I get static through the tweeters... keep in mind that this is with the ignition off. The light in the radio (Monsoon system) turns off and on by itself now... at 5-10 intervals...
WEIRD.
When the radio is on (ignition off) the noise then goes away...
I contemplate leaving the radio on all night (with volume down).
VERSUS
Leaving it just playing static.
VERSUS
Unplugging the battery (I heard that the dealer needs to get the car to restart after this though)
Which was best???
I left it playing static figuring this would be the least amount of drain on the battery without unplugging it... and then in the morning (Sunday) I check on it... starts fine. No weird sounds... fixed? Nah...
This morning (Monday) it doesn't start... I am able to jump it and let it run for over an hour... weird sound gone... fixed??? Doubtful.
Yes, it is under warranty....
Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.
PS - sorry if this is hard to comprehend... as I had to write this fast -- I have to pick the misses up (and am running late) cause now we're commuting while the Jetta sits in the driveway.
Please help.

·
Banned
1,201 Posts
Re: Electrical Problem - Please help (Justin W)

let me guess hhmmm...
you probably have some metal shavings in your ignition switch that came from your key or contaminated your key. it's making some contact between the acc side even in the off posistion. you don't have to belive me on this since it's a speculation. could also be that your ignition sw. is worn out and not fully disengaging. again it's just a speculation. try using a mother sucker shop vac on your sw. if shavings are trapped in there. hey it's free and just a suggestion.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Electrical Problem - Please help (ATO)

ATO, thanks for your help... I'll try that.
I'm home from work now... car started fine. Noises are almost gone.
Only very slight buzz (with lights on and ignition off) and a little static (with lights off and ignition off) - but for a limited time after car is off. Then things "seem" ok.
Radio doesn't seem to be turning off and on at 5-10 sec intervals anymore.
Also - the misses made an appointment with VW service to check it out...
BTW - is there a better forum for this post? Technical - electrical maybe?

[Modified by Justin W, 6:26 PM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well got into the shop...
Mechanic has ordered new Monsoon amplifer... apparently there was something wrong with it and it was a constant drain on the battery.
Amp will be here tomorrow... and the mechanic will recheck to see if this fixes the problem.
ATO - thanks again for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.