VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
2002 VW GTI AWP
I`ve got a very annoying problem that is gradually getting worse. My car has an electrical gremlin. Upon going to start the car (after it`s been sitting for a while) it would not start. Instead as soon as i turn the key to ON the car goes crazy (relays clicking on and off, lights in cluster blicking on and off). When I move the key to START, everything stops and the engine does not crank.
Even if i take out the key and just turn on the radio, then flash my high beams the radio will just turn off and lights barley work.
It`s as if i have an INTERMITTENT SHORT. After a while of trying the car will turn on and act normal. This was occurring for past 6 months, but now in cold and wet conditions (candian winter
) it occurs almost everyday.
I`m going to check all my grounds in a week. I've checked ALL fuses and it looks good. I will exchange the all the fuses just to rule out a random crappy fuse. What are your theories? I will post a vag scan when I get home, last time I did one it pointed to CCM having intermittent problems....however no where I've read points to CCM, I'll prob get one just to check.

·
Banned
53,531 Posts
Re: Electrical Problem PLEASE HELP (MK4 Turboo)

Quote, originally posted by MK4 Turboo »
....I`m going to check all my grounds in a week. I've checked ALL fuses and it looks good. I will exchange the all the fuses just to rule out a random crappy fuse. What are your theories?.....

A fuse is either bad, or good, not intermittent.
I would say you have a bad battery or a bad connection to the battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is fine. The car starts up perfect right after it's "episode". It definatley feels like the battery is almost dead when it is in it's episode. For example if you turn on lights and then click the door unlock button the lights would turn off while door unlocks.
IMPORTANT THING I JUST REMEBERED. When i turn the car to ON, the door locks unlcok slowly sometimes. It's really random. And relays keep going crazy.

·
33,221 Posts
Re: (MK4 Turboo)

check the battery connections at the fuse box (atop the battery), and the ground under the battery tray....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to note. Those are the only connections (besides battery connections) that I fully checked and even cleaned with some electrical spray. After doing even more extensive research I found some similar cases. I'm going to have the battery tested. The thing everyone keeps saying tho is grounds...which since there are quite a few of them and i'm in middle of Midterms...well I have to put off.
It definatley feels like a short is occurring. Would a bad connection to ECU cause my symptoms?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then I'll add that to my to-do list. So far it's:
-Do a second VAG scan
-Check ALL grounds
-Test battery
-Test Alternator (unlikely)
-Check ECU connections
-Check CCM (This is my hail mary)
Anything else to add?
EDIT: Also this guy has got same symptoms as me. Thankfully he's still present on boards. Here's his thread for extra info: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4582824

Modified by MK4 Turboo at 4:27 PM 2-2-2010

·
33,221 Posts
Re: Electrical Problem PLEASE HELP (MK4 Turboo)

it could be your 109 relay....but again, scan it first....forget the CCM module as that has nothing do to with these issues.....
in the end it could be the ignition switch, but again, scan it 1st.

·
33,221 Posts
Re: (MK4 Turboo)

Quote, originally posted by MK4 Turboo »
Man you're awesome. I did a quick search on the 109 relay. And it's symptoms fit a lot of my symptoms. I'm definatley scanning it and looking for that. Thanks!

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Make sure to post back what you find so that anyone SEARCHing in the future will have good info as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.