Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK- Here's the riddle:
On my 78 Rocco, What connection is there between the
-Idiot Light for the Oil
-Idiot Light for the Brake fluid

If you can tell me what these 3 have in common, you'll get that
(icon...cause a real
would be impossible!

Ok--the reason for this quiz is that after replacing my entire fusebox to a new one, everything is working perfectly,EXCEPT that last night I noticed that the oil idiot light and the brake idiot light were both half lit. They were dim, but lit.
Here's what its NOT:
It's not the E-brake switch- cause that lights up at full brightness and shuts off like its supposed to ( to a half lit idiot light as mentioned above) when in the down position.
-Its NOT the brake fluid level cause its full.
-Its NOT the oil pressure sender bacause it lights up to full brightness when unclipped...and yes there is oil in the motor
SO that is working as it should.
It has to be something in the bizzare and lame electrical system set up on this car. What do those 2 share?
And DON'T just tell me to look in my Bently ,cause I might as well be deciphering Ancient Hyrogliphics when I look at that wiring diagram in that thing...

Any iddeas, boys? ( and girls)

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Re: Electrical Puzzle Riddle- Winner wins another (the_mad_rabbit)

Heinitz Frankenreuter, the man who assembled your wiring harness on that blustery monday morning in jan 1978, had one to many schnapps und sausage on sunday eve. After being out with the lads all eve he arrived home and had a long row with the wife(Etta) who told Heinitz to sleep it off on the couch.
It had left poor heinitz in a beligerant mood. So upon arrival to da elektrikal ussembly area on monday morn he decided with some gusto and very pronounced flatulence that he would bollocks up every thirteenth harness.

guess you got luck number 13 buddy.
seriously though not a clue

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Electrical Puzzle Riddle- Winner wins another (LubsDaDubs)

...........I cant even type Im laffing so hard....................
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,797 Posts

Quote, originally posted by LubsDaDubs »
Heinitz Frankenreuter, the man who assembled your wiring harness on that blustery monday morning in jan 1978, had one to many schnapps und sausage on sunday eve. After being out with the lads all eve he arrived home and had a long row with the wife(Etta) who told Heinitz to sleep it off on the couch.
It had left poor heinitz in a beligerant mood. So upon arrival to da elektrikal ussembly area on monday morn he decided with some gusto and very pronounced flatulence that he would bollocks up every thirteenth harness.

OOOOOOOOOOO Bil your such a card buddy!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Re: Electrical Puzzle Riddle- Winner wins another (fake :) ) beer (My Old Roc)

sounds like your getting some back feed of +12v
try to unplug one sensor at a time also it may be cluster wiring when you say new do you mean from a diffrent car or brand spanking new ?

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Electrical Puzzle Riddle- Winner wins another (wolf rocco)

Brand spankin new fuse box--
It sure does seem like some 12V bleedtrough. I just dunno where-
If I can be assured that , say, the 2 lights behind the dash share a common fuse, or like, they share a common ground, or SOMETHING like that, then I could more ewasily track donw HOW and WHERE the problem is, instead of blindly pullin wires and messing up my beautif new fuse box job I just finished.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: Electrical Puzzle Riddle- Winner wins another (My Old Roc)

Try unplugging the brake warning switch at the dash,it also has the seat belt warining light i believe.There is a module in there that fails and causes feedback sometimes,I just unplugged mine,because i always wear my seat belt and dont need to be reminded of it. If this isnt it,let me know,and i'll dig into it

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Electrical Puzzle Riddle- Winner wins another (vwnuts57)

Well I monkeyed with the plug for the light in the dash for the brake/seatbelt. It didn't cure the problem but the brake and oil lite are related somehow cause when I messed with the oil light up top, -moving the bulb around and making it turn on and off-, the glowing brake light got brighter and dimmer as the oil light went on and off.
But there is still a half-glow coming from both of them when the engine is running.
I noticed the brake/seatbelt light have an actual connector to plug/unplug, while the oil/cat light is part of the menbrane that surrounds the spedo/tach.
So how are they related?

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

Quote, originally posted by LubsDaDubs »

Oh, sure. Blame it on the wife!

Great story.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I had a relay spliced into the wire that reads the oil pressure sender signal.....which works on resistance..........which was dropped by the extra load from the relay.........which gave a false reading......which made my light glow as if it were running low on oil pressure.............which makes me the bonehead...............

What still confuses me is that the oil pressure light AND the brake warningl light were BOTH affected.... and both cured by my fixing the oil sender problem.

Well, whatever. As long as it's fixed! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.