VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tangled with the Scirocco all today, and i still cant figure out what the hell to do.
ive got a short or soemthing.... i thought it was my starter, but i got another one, and now i have the same problem. whenever i got to turn the key into the starting position, the car just goes click, and all lights, ect go off. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
i havent driven the car for quite some time without having to push start it first.
oh, and this IS where the alterantor ground should be, right? the previous owner had it somewhere else, so i moved it where i found a closer bolt. maybe my alternator is fryed... i dunno. my battery seems fine...
any input?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Re: Electricity is FUN!! not. (GTibunny16v)

I found that if you run that ground wire where it is, and add another ground wire from another nut right to the battery, it helps.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Re: Electricity is FUN!! not. (Absoludicrous!)

yeah try your ignition switch, when mine went i had no lights, fans, windows...all kinds of wierd stuff. Its pretty easy to replace and only costs like $10. When i took mine out i found that it was filled with water

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Re: Electricity is FUN!! not. (GTibunny16v)

Quote, originally posted by GTibunny16v »
Sounds like a bad ignition switch

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif happend to me too, my car barely push started till i replaced that, now it fires up fine

as for the alternator ground, mine it hooked onto the AC??? it was that way in both my roccos..so i dunno, but haven't had any probs! lol
Noah~(Kameirocco)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Re: Electricity is FUN!! not. (Kameirocco)

If the starter is clicking, the ignition switch is feeding the exciter wire, It sounds like bad grounds to the body and engine and/ or dead battery

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Electricity is FUN!! not. (pastpargolf)

well, it doesnt "click, click, click" like the solenoid is stuck, just one tiny "click" is coming from somewhere in the engine bay. I just assume its the starter.
ill be wrenching on the car all day today as well. i got lucky and have 2 days off work

thanks for the help thus far. anyone else have anything they would like to add?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Re: Electricity is FUN!! not. (Absoludicrous!)

Clean the battery termonals,then also check the battery voltage if that battery is weak it won't start it at all.If that isn't the problem go through and clean all your power and ground connections.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Re: Electricity is FUN!! not. (vento III)

Take the little wire off the starter and see if its getting battery voltage when you crank it. And see what your battery voltage is at. And don't say you own a VW and no multimeter! You can get one thats decent for ~$30 at Sears, or a few hundred for a Fluke, its a good tool to own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts