VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If these Electronic Dump Tubes worked flawlessly (not saying they don't, just for arguement's sake) is there any reason to get a hi/flow cat & cat back exhaust system.
Comments from some previous posts :
http://Electronic Dump Tube
have me asking this question.
Thanks,
Rey

Modified by elRey at 3:35 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Electronic Dump Tube vs CAT BACK ? (machx0r)

For me, I'm either driving hard or not. When I'm not, I see no need for an exhaust system. When I am driving hard, I'd get a ticket dump tube or not.
Rey

·
Registered
825 Posts
Re: Electronic Dump Tube vs CAT BACK ? (elRey)

yeah dude for sure you wanna have both. Just the dump tube alone will kill your ears and on the highway forgetaboutit......Dumps are just for short time use(like racing and to sound like a crazy v8 once in a while)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts

what % of your driving time do you REALLY think you'll have that thing open. you listen to cd's in your car?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Electronic Dump Tube vs CAT BACK ? (BoostedGolf02)

Quote, originally posted by BoostedGolf02 »
yeah dude for sure you wanna have both. Just the dump tube alone will kill your ears and on the highway forgetaboutit......Dumps are just for short time use(like racing and to sound like a crazy v8 once in a while)

I'm not gonna drive hard the WHOLE time I'm on the highway, so it will be closed. Everyone rrealizes I'm talking about an ELECTRONIC dump, right? One that can be opened or closed at the flip of a switch in side the cabin.
Quote, originally posted by petesell »
what % of your driving time do you REALLY think you'll have that thing open. you listen to cd's in your car?

I'd say 25% hard driving. And no, I don't really listen to music/radio while driving.
Rey

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

from what I hear, the dump tube makes it "omg my ears are bleeding" type loud. so.. you might decide to not run it as often as you thought you would after you get it in.
I would still get a nice catback for everyday use.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Re: Electronic Dump Tube vs CAT BACK ? (SimonPieter2)

i have the dump tube with a 3" tb exhaust... if i had to do it over again, i would keep the stock cat back and just do the dp and the dump tube... when i wanna race, i race, none of this in-between stuff... either balls out, or just chillin, no need for a slight gain in my opinion... if anyone wants a 3" cat back, let me know, i will gladly get rid of it and put a small pipe back on there... less dead weight.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: Electronic Dump Tube vs CAT BACK ? (chim-chim1.8t)

As I have said before I will never again waste the huge bucks on a cat-back system.
I spent almost a grand (CDN) on my exhaust for my Neon and then I got a dump. It made more power and was 1/3'rd the cost.
Once Quicktime releases their downpipe / dump for the 1.8t I will be all over that in a second.
For general bombing around town the stock system is fine, even when modded and chipped. If you really need to school someone the crack the pipe open and give'er.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Re: Electronic Dump Tube vs CAT BACK ? (GTINeon)

Quote, originally posted by GTINeon »
As I have said before I will never again waste the huge bucks on a cat-back system.
I spent almost a grand (CDN) on my exhaust for my Neon and then I got a dump. It made more power and was 1/3'rd the cost.
Once Quicktime releases their downpipe / dump for the 1.8t I will be all over that in a second.
For general bombing around town the stock system is fine, even when modded and chipped. If you really need to school someone the crack the pipe open and give'er.

let us nvd'rs know when you get it, if i like the sound i might too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
if u have emisions it might be a problem when they look under the car....at least thats how they r in MD...i would go dump tubes, only thing is i have heard of times where they have gottin stuck open or closed dont know why

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

Quote, originally posted by chim-chim1.8t »
if anyone wants a 3" cat back, let me know, i will gladly get rid of it and put a small pipe back on there... less dead weight.

Uh, no. The stock catback is much heavier than most of the aftermarket ones due to the suitcase for a muffler.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Electronic Dump Tube vs CAT BACK ? (VDUBNDizzy)

What about your ECU adjusting, I know when I first got my turboback exhaust my car actually felt a little slower for about a day, until my ECU adjusted. But then again that could all be my imagination.
So with a dump tube opening and closing your ECU would not have time to adjust to actually make your car faster.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Re: Electronic Dump Tube vs CAT BACK ? (VDUBNDizzy)

the forced motion exhaust is friggen heavy... when i take it off, i will weigh the two and let everyone know... either way i will be taking it off, and putting something lighter on there, or make that sheit quick adjust 2 piece so i can just rip it out at the track with more ease.

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

Not sure on how the FM works, but that's what I do with my GHL. Just unbolt the two hangars and drop the axle back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts