VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Hey TESLA owners and fans, do you find Elon Musk repulsive?

• I have another reason that Elon is hated yet so successful (tell us oh wise one)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever, TCL is just jealous of Tesla and its marvelous cars

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
51,088 Posts
No option for "I don't care about Elon, I just don't think the cars are very good quality".
FTFY. Plus add in that the 3 and Y are ugly on the outside and have poor ergonomics on the inside. The S and X with the stupid yoke (without even an option for a normal steering wheel).

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
My refusal to pay above MSRP and direct pricing got me into a Model 3. It's the first car I've owned that I don't want to get rid of after a few months. The next time I need a refresh, I'll get a Model 3 Performance or another Tesla.

Two weeks after I got the Jeep Wrangler 4xe, I'm back to giving other cars the side eye. My 4xe would be gone if I could afford a new Civic Type R, Golf R, or GR Corolla. I'll probably get another Tesla if I can't find one of those at a reasonable price.
What's wrong with the 4xe?

·
Registered
E46 330ci coupe
11,803 Posts
You can’t, under current US law, tax something that hasn’t been realized. Say Musk when he owned his McLaren F1. He paid, in round numbers, $1M for it. Well now they trade at around $20M. We don’t say “you only paid sales tax on a $1M car, now it’s worth $20M you owe us more taxes.” When he sells it (he already sold it but bear with me), we can hit him with capital gains tax, but until it’s sold, it doesn’t matter, he hasn’t realized that wealth.

It’s the same way I can avoid taxes by dumping $18k or $19k or whatever it is per year into a 401k. I’ll get taxed on that money when I realize it (dump it into my bank account). Until then I don’t have access to it, so I don’t get taxed on it.
We're getting off topic for the thread, but I meant tax their companies, not their personal assets. Of course anyone who has amassed that much personal wealth would figure out a way to protect it.

That could potentially screw thousands of employees, ruin 401ks destroy the S&P in the process , and potentially widen the inequality gap.
I mean...that **** is happening anyway.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Probably the biggest thing you could do is make wealth use it or lose it. No passing down generational wealth anymore. Tax estates at 100%. A reasonable exclusion for "regular people" but no cut outs for spoilt kids and grandkids and their pets. No hiding in trusts. It gets one inheritance of a single family home to a single dependent or spouse and the entireity is auctioned off and sold. No palacial estates or farking castles with 37 car garages and a theme park,a single high median income single family home.

Spend it before you die or the public gets all of it. If they don't have a qualifying home, they will be provided enough funds from the sale to acquire them one.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Probably the biggest thing you could do is make wealth use it or lose it. No passing down generational wealth anymore. Tax estates at 100%. A reasonable exclusion for "regular people" but no cut outs for spoilt kids and grandkids and their pets. No hiding in trusts. It gets one inheritance of a single family home to a single dependent or spouse and the entireity is auctioned off and sold. No palacial estates or farking castles with 37 car garages and a theme park,a single high median income single family home.

Spend it before you die or the public gets all of it. If they don't have a qualifying home, they will be provided enough funds from the sale to acquire them one.
There are a bunch of issues with this idea.

Number one, from a libertarian perspective I simply don’t believe “the public” (the government) deserves it.

Number two, in the case of something like Tesla, the government will almost certainly destroy it. They can’t run it. It will be worthless in a few years and they will have destroyed hundreds of billions of dollars of value and wealth.

Number three, as an employee of a private, single-man-owned company with 20,000+ workers and does about $7-8B of revenue a year in a critical industry…what happens to us? Just shut it down? Government runs it into oblivion? 20,000+ of us lose our jobs because a dude died?

People like to rail against the Paris Hiltons of the world and get all indignant that she’s a member of the lucky sperm club and they are not, but as a practical matter stewardship of companies has to be done in an orderly way as directed by the owners, or it’s all going to be destroyed and a bunch of angry stakeholders will be angrily looking at the nameless faceless bureaucrats who f’d the whole thing up for everyone.

·
Registered
388 Posts
What's wrong with the 4xe?
It’s not a Golf R, CTR, or Corolla GR, so if he wants that I can see why a 4xe isn’t satisfying.
No issues with the 4xe. The issues are on me for being oblivious to the obvious, and positive equity on a lease did me in.
  • 70 MPH + not enjoyable
    • Too loud w/ the one touch soft-top
    • Gas mileage
  • Ride quality
  • Battery lasted 22 hours
Driving slow with the top and windows down is fun for a few. My preference is canyons over fire trails.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
No issues with the 4xe. The issues are on me for being oblivious to the obvious, and positive equity on a lease did me in.
  • 70 MPH + not enjoyable
    • Too loud w/ the one touch soft-top
    • Gas mileage
  • Ride quality
  • Battery lasted 22 hours
Driving slow with the top and windows down is fun for a few. My preference is canyons over fire trails.
Two days a week I commute 35 miles each way in the 4xe (usually) on the highway, and hate the Jeep. The other 5 days a week I cruise around town in it (usually top and doors off) and love it again.

That I have the S in the garage for sports car driving salves the wound as well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Two days a week I commute 35 miles each way in the 4xe (usually) on the highway, and hate the Jeep. The other 5 days a week I cruise around town in it (usually top and doors off) and love it again.

That I have the S in the garage for sports car driving salves the wound as well.
I need to take your advice and remove the doors. Maybe buy my first tank top too.

I'll be keeping it for at least a few months, per the agreement I signed to get it at a discount. My youngest son would love if I kept it for good. Hoping to flip it for a slight profit and get into what is probably going to be the end of manual ICE sport compacts, or throw in the towel on dealing with dealerships and get another Tesla.

·
Registered
36,108 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
I do think that Elon is a little much, but that's not why I'm not big on Tesla. For starters, I think the build quality is a bit appalling for as expensive and hyped they are. I also didn't appreciate the unfinished concept car feel of their vehicles. Everything (and I mean everything) including instruments are housed in one huge screen in the middle of the dash of the Model 3. No bueno for me. Their vegan leather (hipster speak for leatherette or pleather) feels less like leather than VW's V-Tex, which doesn't even feel like leather to begin with. Sure, they're pushing the envelope with technology, but that's all I'll give them credit for. At this moment, I view Tesla as a fashion statement for people use Tesla ownership as a representation of their entire personality.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 325ic, both blue
3,139 Posts
That’s a different question than “billionaires shouldn’t exist.” I absolutely agree that individuals shouldn’t have the kind of control that they do, especially Zuck. But that wasn’t the discussion.
When you involve the almighty $USD, you cannot divorce the billionaire from the controller.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
I must admit, I am less likely to buy a Tesla now that the whole cult of Elon thing has gone this far.

I don't really care about his antics, but I don't want to associate myself with him either. Im

I can wait for some no drama traditional manufacturers to come out with a Tesla killer.

·
Registered
1994 Bmw 540i Touring, 1974 Bmw 2500
3,993 Posts
The only concrete advantage Tesla has left is the Supercharger network and that appears about to open up. With extremely appealing new models coming from Ford, GM, Hyundai, etc., Musk's Twitter antics are soon going to be the only things keeping Tesla from being an after thought.
People have been saying that for years though. Yet Tesla still remains the most sold brand here at least, and that's despite lots of competition from other players. In fact they have even increased their sales figures compared to last year with almost 30% while most other brands have seen a decrease. I also think their lack of new models poses a risk, but then again cars like the original Beetle, the 2cv and the T-ford all managed to stay competitive for decades with just minor improvements along the way.

·
Registered
'21 Muskmobile M3 Dual Motor, '18 e-Golf
3,656 Posts
I drive a Tesla and honestly don't care much about what Elon does. I don't have Twitter I guess that helps :D From what I do pick up regarding his persona makes me think that he's a little bit too unfiltered to be the face of a big company, but then again I do like the idea that what he says is atleast somehow truthful or sincere and not some political correct empty statements.

·
Banned by John until they unbanned me
11,570 Posts
“If you take Mr. Musk and his antics out of the equation, I'm about 98% certain that my next car would be a Tesla,” Levitt says. “His antics put me in play.”
He should get a VW or a Ford.

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
9,120 Posts
I'm not too familiar with Elon Musk's antics, but I saw this cheesy ad for a solar company featuring a Tesla powerwall on Facebook recently and realized how jarring it is to see a Tesla product in a traditional advertisement. I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla product actually advertised before. They managed to launch and promote a new worldwide car company via that one guy, which is pretty impressive. Of course the downside to any larger personality is that for everyone who loves it, there are people who equally hate it. It does seem to be working so far though.

41 - 60 of 113 Posts