VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this 2018 R and it has this pouch in the hatch with tire sealant, but there’s clearly supposed to be a little air compressor with it. Does anyone have a part number or anything so I can try to track one down? I’d like to have something in my car until I pull the trigger on the full spare kit. Thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If I recall correctly from here and other forums, the OEM one might not be that great and could fail as soon as you try to use it so you might consider getting an aftermarket one that's a more quality piece. At the very least, check it occasionally and make sure it's working.

Same is true of the can of sealant - being in the back and in the sun a lot, it could dry up or go off and not flow if/when you need it. Keeping in mind that they don't like to clean that out when you get the tire repaired (I've seen it and it's a pain) so you might also consider getting a tire plug repair kit so you can repair it on the road, use the compressor to fill it up and drive away.

Not really a fan of the ride quality of run-flat tires but I wouldn't mind if my '18 R had them. Not sure the tire pressure monitoring in the car would work with them though.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Reactions: kevinkar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everybody for the input. I guess I’ll look into just grabbing a more reliable inflator. The plan is to get the spare tire kit, but that will be a slightly bigger investment than just a few bucks (exaggerating a bit here) for a pump and new sealant. And I’m not a fan of run flats, so I’m not trying to go that route.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Based on this thread, I took a quick look at the spare tire kits from DAP and ECS and they've definitely gone up in price over the years. Combination of inflation, supply chain, etc. I'm sure. It's funny looking at Humblemechanic's video where he shows the kit at DAP being a bit over $300 and it's now just under $500. That's a big jump. But if you look at all the VW parts sellers out there, the individual parts are also expensive on their own. I'm sure you can take the time and look around for the cheapest source though. All this will probably still go up in price continually.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Based on this thread, I took a quick look at the spare tire kits from DAP and ECS and they've definitely gone up in price over the years. Combination of inflation, supply chain, etc. I'm sure. It's funny looking at Humblemechanic's video where he shows the kit at DAP being a bit over $300 and it's now just under $500. That's a big jump. But if you look at all the VW parts sellers out there, the individual parts are also expensive on their own. I'm sure you can take the time and look around for the cheapest source though. All this will probably still go up in price continually.
True. The cost of towing has gone up too. If you blow a sidewall out in the boonies, $500 for the spare tire kit isn't much. I guess towing coverage on your insurance might cover, mine has a mileage limit on it w/ Farmers, can't recall what it is but it's like 50 miles or something.

·
Registered
501 Posts
True. The cost of towing has gone up too. If you blow a sidewall out in the boonies, $500 for the spare tire kit isn't much. I guess towing coverage on your insurance might cover, mine has a mileage limit on it w/ Farmers, can't recall what it is but it's like 50 miles or something.
Yeah, I've got AAA and the "classic" membership only allows SEVEN whole miles for towing unless the tow truck tows it back to its own facility (unlimited) but you have to have faith that Tow Company X can fix your car! Better to get the "Plus" membership for 100 basic miles but I've not used a tow in the almost 40 years I've been a member so the extra $1300 would have been wasted at this point. Though spread over 40 years, the cost is not significant.

That being said, one of my wife's friends found herself in the boondocks in Arizona and had to get towed a significant distance and, according to her, the cost was $14k. I find that hard to believe but I've been assured it was "reasonable". So, if actually reasonable, I'd sure rather have paid $1300 than $14k. But for now, we don't travel outside of SoCal so we don't need the extra miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree 100%, get the spare tire kit linked above. Even just for piece of mind. I've never gotten a flat when it wasn't the absolute worst time to have the car down.
I hope to snag it early in the new year. I hear what you’re saying, things like losing tires always seem to be a “when it rains, it pours” kind of thing.

·
Registered
2018 MK7.5 Golf R (DCC, NAV)
60 Posts
Not really a fan of the ride quality of run-flat tires but I wouldn't mind if my '18 R had them. Not sure the tire pressure monitoring in the car would work with them though.
Pretty sure the tire pressure monitoring works by comparing rotations of the tire (as a tire loses pressure, it takes less distance to complete a revolution, which when monitored throws the pressure light). There isn't a pressure monitoring device inside the tire so it won't make any difference what tire you use. You just have to reset the pressures in the infotainment center when switching them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts