VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check engine light and emission's workshop light came on this morning. It came on about 5000 miles ago at 20k and the engine overheated. Turned out the electric waterpump failed. The dealership - Dwight Harrsion - replaced it and it has been running fine since then.
Just went out of warranty, and this morning both lights came on again. Anybody else had the emission's workshop! (their exclamation point) light come on? What was the cause? Last time if I remember correctly it seems like the dealership said it occurred because the cat conv overheated but this morning the car wasn't even warmed up when it came on.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Re: Emissions workshop warning again. (wireless)

it could be any number of things. i had the emissions workshop and the check engine light come on twice. first time it was a faulty MAF. second time it was a faulty temperature sensor. if anybody near you with a vag-com, you can get them to check it out and see what error codes are causing it.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Re: Emissions workshop warning again. (schmove)

i had the same problem not to long ago and it was an EVAP sensor and then it came on again the same week for a mis fire, have to get it on a computer to see whats up with i guess........

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Check engine light and emission's workshop light came on this morning. It came on about 5000 miles ago at 20k and the engine overheated. Turned out the electric waterpump failed. [HR][/HR]​
Electric Water pump?? Huh, hmm,
I am not familiar with the B5 having an electric water pump?? Can anyone confirm this?? I have the Bentley, but its at home. Well my Check Engine light came on and it turned out the be the MAF, approx. $500.00 later I was back on the road. There is one other possible cause that can through a MAF error. The air intake has a very fine screen material just inside the opening. If this were to become plugged, there is a possiblity that the restriced air flow can cause Check Engine lights.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Re: Emissions workshop warning again. (ytqm)

That restriction in air intake caused my CEL... I had a front bra on and when sitting at a red light, I get the err..
My VAG codes revealed system running too lean... this was over 1.5 years ago though.
My understanding is that the MAF is inside the airbox.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Emissions workshop warning again. (ytqm)

The Passat has a regular water pump and an electric auxillary pump. The aux pump comes on when the engine needs supplemental cooling. This might occur when sitting at a traffic light in hot weather. Even after the electric pump went out, the temperature was okay because driving to the dealership was mostly on highways.
BTW, I still drive the 50 miles to Dwight Harrison in Stone Mountain, GA to avoid the Jim Ellis dealership.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

I didnt read your signature line, assumed you had a 1.8t, I could understand the V6 having a different setup for cooling. Good luck with the Emissions Workshop, I truly believe there are way too many faulty MAFs, there is either a design flaw in the intake that causes problems with the MAFs or its the MAFs themselves. My dealer told me there was a TSB for the MAFs in the Jetta/Golf. Other than the shape for the Passat they are the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.