VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

3721 - 3740 of 3995 Posts

·
Registered
45,978 Posts
Getting the Macan sounds completely irrational and simply related to you wanting a Porsche. You did not enjoy driving it and the interior space is not significantly better than the Golf R. The only positive thing about it (for you, not to diss on the Macan as a whole) is that it has a Porsche badge.

If you end up getting the 2.0, then it is hardly an upgrade from the Golf R as far as power goes. I think it's completely irrational.
Hawk should just put Porsche badges on his Golf. It would save him a ton of loonies.

·
Registered
2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate, 2017 Miata RF GT
1,525 Posts
Getting the Macan sounds completely irrational and simply related to you wanting a Porsche. You did not enjoy driving it and the interior space is not significantly better than the Golf R. The only positive thing about it (for you, not to diss on the Macan as a whole) is that it has a Porsche badge.

If you end up getting the 2.0, then it is hardly an upgrade from the Golf R as far as power goes. I think it's completely irrational.
It makes absolutely zero sense. If I needed a new family car, would only buy European marques and my budget was $80,000, I'd go CPO E450, C43 AMG and used Panamera in that order. Otherwise, I'd see if I can make the Golf R work, treat myself to a new toy (watch, camera lens(es), shoes, clothing, whatever) and work on planning a much needed post-COVID vacation.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Maybe that was a hundred pages ago, but why not consider a 2016-2018 Cayenne? Maybe even 2019. I think it would tick off most of your needs and you could save your depreciated $80k from further loss of selling whatever new car you buy a few years down the line.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Maybe that was a hundred pages ago, but why not consider a 2016-2018 Cayenne? Maybe even 2019. I think it would tick off most of your needs and you could save your depreciated $80k from further loss of selling whatever new car you buy a few years down the line.
I don't think it'll fit on his parking pad.

·
Registered
45,978 Posts
plus maybe the eleventybillion posts about not wanting a SUV.... yaddayaddayadda
Then why is he considering a Macan? Schizophrenia?

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3
3,765 Posts
I'm looking forward to a new thread "Beginning of an era, [insert car name here] bought"

That along with a picture of your car in your garage with no roof, it'll be another 100-page thread

🍺

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I dunno, I say we wager a bet. Put some serious TSLA money in the pot. Hawk can throw in his halved BA stock. My vote goes for Cayenne, roll your eyes out but it's going to end up being a Porsche and it can only be Cayenne.
Also, it's way shorter than Panamera so it'll fit lengthwise. Not sure about height though :unsure:

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,734
I say we wager a bet. My vote goes for Cayenne.
I can assure you it will NEVER EVER be a Cayenne. I hate the Cayenne with a passion. Used to get them as loaners when I'd take the Cayman in for service and I felt like I was driving a delivery van. Couldn't wait to give it back. Hated it soooooooo much. Test drove a new one last year just to be sure and brought it back after 3 minutes and said, "Yeah no, still hate it."

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,735
I'd offer like 80k for this thing. It's above market and it's a demo. Carbon optics is cool too.
You'd offer $80K for a car they have advertised as $90K? :D

They'll be like best we can do is $89,500.

There's no way a dealership is going to drop $10K off a used car.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I agree with Hawk.
In a covid environment, the negots are slim.

I will say 25k plus tax savings on your R sounds lower than market unless the car is a disaster (miles/broken goldfish crackers embedded into the dash)

We know you take care of it.... sell it privately. The delta from private to trade value can buy your 000

YW

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,617 Posts
I can assure you it will NEVER EVER be a Cayenne. I hate the Cayenne with a passion. Used to get them as loaners when I'd take the Cayman in for service and I felt like I was driving a delivery van. Couldn't wait to give it back. Hated it soooooooo much. Test drove a new one last year just to be sure and brought it back after 3 minutes and said, "Yeah no, still hate it."
Strange. I never drove a Cayenne, but I understood they were regarded to be the best driver's SUV on the market.
I agree with Hawk.
In a covid environment, the negots are slim.

I will say 25k plus tax savings on your R sounds lower than market unless the car is a disaster (miles/broken goldfish crackers embedded into the dash)

We know you take care of it.... sell it privately. The delta from private to trade value can buy your 000

YW

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Now is most definitely the time to sell private.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,384 Posts
You'd offer $80K for a car they have advertised as $90K? :D

They'll be like best we can do is $89,500.

There's no way a dealership is going to drop $10K off a used car.
You know how negotiating works I assume?

A demo means the GM or Sales Manager used it as a personal vehicle for a few months. It has never been sold to someone in the public. However because it has demo status the warranty is ticking and it also is not CPO'd because it is not technically a used car. It has been on their lot for at least a year, potentially up to 18 months. That is either because they are trying to get too much for it, or because there is no demand for it. If it is the latter, you have a major negotiating advantage. Not to mention it is January in Winnipeg, and nobody in that market is buying that car until at least April or May.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

If Hawk was looking at a GTS or a Turbo Macan, I'd say you were wrong.

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,740
You know how negotiating works I assume?
Ha yeah, negotiating at the dealership works like this:

Them: $90K
You: $80K?
Them: $89K
You: $85K?
You: $87K?
You: $88K?
Them:$89K
You: $89K

3721 - 3740 of 3995 Posts