VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

3741 - 3760 of 4283 Posts

·
Registered
46,077 Posts
Ha yeah, negotiating at the dealership works like this:

Them: $90K
You: $80K?
Them: $89K
You: $85K?
You: $87K?
You: $88K?
Them:$89K
You: $89K
Should have just walked after $85k.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,457 Posts

Once they say 89k the second time, you reiterate what I said above.

• Car has been there for a year and nobody else is going to buy it until at least May, and chances are anyone in the area who wants it would have bought it already last year
  • It's a demo, warranty is ticking
  • Can't be CPO'd either

Then you offer like $1000 more than your original offer, make sure the guy has your phone number, and leave. Then when he calls to finalize the deal I'd also tell them it's due for an oil change and a complimentary one of those would be required as well.

:)

·
Premium Member
42,958 Posts
Once they say 89k the second time, you reiterate what I said above.

• Car has been there for a year and nobody else is going to buy it until at least May, and chances are anyone in the area who wants it would have bought it already last year
  • It's a demo, warranty is ticking
  • Can't be CPO'd either

Then you offer like $1000 more than your original offer, make sure the guy has your phone number, and leave. Then when he calls to finalize the deal I'd also tell them it's due for an oil change and a complimentary one of those would be required as well.

:)

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,457 Posts

I actually hate doing it but in this position the buyer is the one with all the leverage which makes it a lot easier. If they don't want to sell it, that is totally fine, but 90k for a 'demo' (used) RS5 with a year of warranty gone is stupid. I don't care if it has a bunch of optional packages and the original MSRP was high - Wait a couple months and find one without all the fluff for the price you want (or less).

·
Registered
8,244 Posts

Or pay $90k they're asking and tell them you want $35k for your car, same **** just negotiation happens on your own terms. This is it man ... you should def. try the RS5 .. you'll fall in love with it, it's designed around people who like luxury and showing off <3

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
I actually hate doing it but in this position the buyer is the one with all the leverage which makes it a lot easier. If they don't want to sell it, that is totally fine, but 90k for a 'demo' (used) RS5 with a year of warranty gone is stupid. I don't care if it has a bunch of optional packages and the original MSRP was high - Wait a couple months and find one without all the fluff for the price you want (or less).
Good proposition as well, you'd think they'd be more incentivized to move it. Not a lot of people have $80k in cash sitting in a no interest baring account (cough cough hawc)

·
Premium Member
42,958 Posts
yup when i was looking to replace the alfa. i was originally looking at a used 2019 gti because of the extra warranty. a dealer literally wanted 29k for a used one with 7k miles. I was already getting offers for $29.5-30k for new 2020 because it was model year end. I emailed them with a fair offer. They said they dont really negotiate on their used cars, but offered 500 off. I said ok, no thanks. For the next 3 weeks he kept emailing me slowly lowering the price. They ended up going down about $2k during those 3 weeks. Until I got tired of his emails and told him to just stop emailing and I had already purchased a new car. But yea if youre not in a rush like Hawk you definitely have the leverage.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,457 Posts
Another option would be for them to CPO it, then I would probably pay another 3-4k for sure, assuming I was planning on keeping it at least five years. I don't have any idea though if that is even possible. They may have to sell it to someone and buy it back to make it used, I have no idea, but there has to be a way to get that done. Just like up here selling cars over MSRP is not allowed but whenever Porsche releases a new GT car there sure are a lot of "used" ones being sold with a few hundred kilometres for well over MSRP.

·
Registered
2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate, 2017 Miata RF GT
1,568 Posts
Good proposition as well, you'd think they'd be more incentivized to move it. Not a lot of people have $80k in cash sitting in a no interest baring account (cough cough hawc)
Did he ever explain why he had $80k just sitting around in cash and not collecting interest or in investments?

·
Registered
46,077 Posts
He was also considering buying a tritoon with it, but didn't want to be considered uncool by certain members of The Boat Lounge. :ROFLMAO:
He should put his $80k into a down payment on a house with an actual 2+ car garage.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hawk, Porsche just released 25th anni Boxster 4.0. put your 80k on that allocation.
money well spent.
put the kids in the frunk/trunk

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,755
Did hawc ever explain why he had $80k just sitting around in cash and not collecting interest or in investments?
I've maxed out all my investment options. Only place left for the money is a no interest savings account.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,013 Posts

I'd offer like 80k for this thing. It's above market and it's a demo. Carbon optics is cool too.
This ones seems a better deal

2019 Audi RS 5 Sportback 2.9T quattro w/ Sport Exhaust|Carbon Optics|B&O - Toronto

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,457 Posts
3741 - 3760 of 4283 Posts