VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

4041 - 4060 of 5345 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
So that said, what do you guys guess would be the more 'fun' and 'engaging' car to drive between a Taycan 4S and a Panamera 4S? If you had both sitting in your roofless garage on a warm Sunday morning which would you rather jump in to for a spirited drive?
Answer: a Golf R

Or better yet, take your oldest child, drive the Golf R out to your real garage, hop in your 6MT Cayman and have some great father/kid time in a real fun to drive car.

I'm sure both a Panamera or Taycan (or Model 3 Perf) are all fun to drive in their own ways, but I agree with absoluteczech. Personally I have no real interest in an electric for an "experience" kind of car. One day it'll be forced upon me, until then I plan on driving 3 pedal fun cars.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Why were you chasing him so hard?
He was left lane camping for a while- there was an opening to pass him and when I made the move, he punched it and took off. So I chased, just to see how fast he was, in comparison. He did it about 4-5 times, then lost his mind and started driving crazy, which is when I stopped chasing because I never switched lanes the whole time and have no reason to put other drivers at risk. (I know doing this kind of stuff is immature and a bit dangerous)

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,450 Posts
I think the weight increase (comparing Golf to Macan) would make the performance of the Macan seem rather lame.
Not sure I would call the performance lame...it's adequate for sporting intent and even the 2.0T is an easy car to have fun in. That said, it's not going to impress, especially for the price. Comparing a GTS to a Golf R you're in it at about 2x the price to get roughly similar fun/performance and interior room, or to an m40i BMW 50% more for a hint less performance and interior room. It's a nice car and I want to love it, but I think most of the appeal is style and/or a "low" entry price to the brand.

Whereas, Panamera helps justify the price with its own unique take on luxury, Cayenne with a conspicuous amount of utility in a sporty package, and Taycan with tech and innovation. Ms ghost summed up Macan really well actually, "When they made this one I don't think they cared as much as they did with the others."

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,450 Posts
Answer: a Golf R

Or better yet, take your oldest child, drive the Golf R out to your real garage, hop in your 6MT Cayman and have some great father/kid time in a real fun to drive car.

I'm sure both a Panamera or Taycan (or Model 3 Perf) are all fun to drive in their own ways, but I agree with absoluteczech. Personally I have no real interest in an electric for an "experience" kind of car. One day it'll be forced upon me, until then I plan on driving 3 pedal fun cars.
Did S3/RS3 get ruled out for the smaller back seat? Seems like they have most everything the Golf does while offering more fancy and in the case of the RS3 a unique high performance angle.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Focal I hear ya. A manual car isn't going to happen again for me I'm solidly a dual-clutch automatic gearbox kinda guy now, but I agree about the driving experience being about way more than just acceleration. And I have seen time and time again from test driving all these cars that nothing can touch the $25K R for fun.

So that said, what do you guys guess would be the more 'fun' and 'engaging' car to drive between a Taycan 4S and a Panamera 4S? If you had both sitting in your roofless garage on a warm Sunday morning which would you rather jump in to for a spirited drive?
Keep the R and add a Corvette then.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
A suggest the A35 hatch. It's like a fancy Golf R and just as practical.

it's really buzzy and I hate the digital tach. Blurs and makes me dizzy. A perfect example where analogue is better.
Interior quality is top notch though. I'm not a fan of all the tech but for some, they love it.

FYI - my dad has an a-class on my recommendation. He wanted a small car and this was the nicest one.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Do they sell that in Canada? We only get the sedan in the US.
Americans do not like wagons nor hatchbacks that are low to the ground. Preferring jacked up versions. Canadians were more practical.

·
Registered
46,451 Posts
Is the AMG A35 AWD or FWD? Not straight forward on the MB Canada website. FWD would be a step down from an R32, wouldn't it be?

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,056
Look how happy Harris looks in a Panamera. I want to be that happy.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,059
Ionizer. This is a big red flag to me that a smoker who smoked in the car bought it.
Damn, great catch. I forgot all about smoking and that I definitely don't want some nasty smoker's car.

·
Premium Member
43,437 Posts
Damn, great catch. I forgot all about smoking and that I definitely don't want some nasty smoker's car.
ionizer....

this is a big red flag to me that a smoker who smoked in the car bought it.

someone correct me.
ionizer was an option on panamera's

A new ionization function is available as an option – for improved air stream quality. Before it reaches the cabin, the air in the automatic climate control system is passed through an ionizer. Airborne viruses, bacteria and spores are reduced and the interior air is appreciably refreshed for an even more pleasant cabin environment.

4041 - 4060 of 5345 Posts