VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
7601 - 7620 of 7648 Posts

· Registered
'21 RS 5
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,601 ·
AMG was a brilliant way for MB to shed the perception that Mercedes were for old guys. It literally made the whole brand young again.

BMW has M.

Porsche has GT.

Audi has RS.

VW has R.

They all try and to it to some extent, but Mercedes was the most successful in recent memory. I was in a BMW marketing meeting where they said that worldwide MB sells more G-Wagons than the ENTIRE M line-up combined!

· Registered
9,376 Posts
^^^ Those guys make great videos. I don't know if those small differences are worth the extra money. I think I'd get an AWD M3.
I think you would really enjoy that car. I can't wait for mine to arrive next year :)

· Registered
1,352 Posts
AMG was a brilliant way for MB to shed the perception that Mercedes were for old guys. It literally made the whole brand young again.

BMW has M.

Porsche has GT.

Audi has RS.

VW has R.

They all try and to it to some extent, but Mercedes was the most successful in recent memory. I was in a BMW marketing meeting where they said that worldwide MB sells more G-Wagons than the ENTIRE M line-up combined!
I like my cars purpose built, use it or lose it. Or in this case, buy the performance you need.

The G wagon is so pointless for most buyers for utility. It's a pure image play to flex.

· Registered
46,328 Posts
I like my cars purpose built, use it or lose it. Or in this case, buy the performance you need.

The G wagon is so pointless for most buyers for utility. It's a pure image play to flex.
and they are a dime a dozen in LA, you literally see them everywhere because everyone wants it for "status"

· Registered
32,888 Posts

· Registered
'21 RS 5
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,611 ·
Drove down to the lake to see the supposed 20 foot waves. Not quite. But it was very windy.

RS 5, handled well, accelerated great in the slippery stuff, but the braking wasn't the greatest.

Water Sky Fluid Atmospheric phenomenon Horizon

· Registered
'21 RS 5
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,619 ·
Exactly. On ramps are the only place left for enthusiasts!

· Registered
Subaru(s) | '86 RX-7 | Ninja 400
11,142 Posts
Exactly. On ramps are the only place left for enthusiasts!
As a lifelong enthusiast who likes horsepower, paying a premium for performance only to be used for a few seconds on an on-ramp is just not worth it. If you are taking trips out to good B-roads often, then sure. If you are working full-time with a family in the GTA, that can be rare depending on your lifestyle.

Probably the number one thing I miss about living in Ottawa: very accessible B-roads.

7601 - 7620 of 7648 Posts