VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been seeing some fluctuations in m y eng temp needle latley. after getting the car to normal operating temp(190) the temp will drop all the way
with no explanation. it will happen in normal driving and stop and go. there is no effect on the heating of the interior of the vehicle and i have seen no other performance issues .....then out of nowhere the car will regain its normal operating temp and then drop later again. i have started to notice this phenomenon just within the last few weeks
any help is appreciated

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: eng temp issue (16valverocco)

Your temperature sender is going bad. The same thing just happened to me. I replaced it three weeks ago and haven't had any problems since.
On the V6 it is located in a coolant pipe at the left(if you face the car) rear of the engine. Kind of a pain to get at but with a little diligence can be done. My long skinny fingers were a definite plus for this job. The sender is held in by a plastic clip which must be pryed out after disconnecting the wiring harness. There is an o-ring to seal against coolant leakage. Both a new o-ring and plastic clip came with the new sender.
There were two different senders for my car ('99) so I bought both and returned the one I didn't use. One is ~$30---the other ~8. Guess which one I needed.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts