VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 2000 GTI GLX VR6
Miles: 176k
The engine is toast... basically timing chain jumped and took the engine with it. (This is according to the local shop)
I still have the car... trying to figure out what to do. I know if I junk it, I probably wouldn't get another GTI, mainly due to the cost. I don't want to get into another car payment even though I would love to get a new one. My income just doesn't support that, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
I was going to try and sell the car, but I worked so freaking hard over the 5 years I was making payments that I feel like it would just be a waste to unload it. Plus given the above, I'd probably never have another one.
So I'm back to the idea of replacing the engine and going from there. The car does need other work - mainly the breaks and the suspension.
Any idea how much I could get a used engine for that would be in fairly good shape?
Would it be possible to get a 1.8T (or the like) engine and put that in? Or just stick with a VR6?
Anyone know of any good shops in the southern NJ/Philly area that could do the work and/or sells used engines? This stuff is WAY beyond what I'm able to do...

Last nite a buddy of mine came over and we were talking about the car and now I'm really missing it... Pfft.. I see it every day sitting in my driveway, but it's kind of like if I don't really talk about it I don't think about not driving...but when I was chatting with my friend about it I got the bug again.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Re: Engine blown on 2000 GI - ideas on expense to fix? (AtomicRoach)

price out used engines and go from there. you may not need a complete engine to get it going again but with the milage on car you are probably better off replacing the whole thing. keep in mind, once you pull this thing apart there will be other parts needed other than just the motor itself. you will want to replaced the clutch, pp, etc when it out. i would replace the cooling system parts since it a million times easier when it out of car and they go bad anyway. you still need brakes and suspension work. last but not least, what ever parts break or fall apart after 175k miles...
i'm sure you could sell it here or part it out and make back some money but dumping a whole lot of cash on a car with that milage isn't worth it imo.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: (TMTuned99.5Golf)

Quote, originally posted by TMTuned99.5Golf »
stick with the VR for now as swapping motors your have to swap too much, including the transmission (which would be kinda costly). find another used VR and call it a day (after swapping it in).

whats this nonsense about needing a new transmission?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Engine blown on 2000 GI - ideas on expense to fix? (85vrcoupe)

Quote, originally posted by 85vrcoupe »
i'm sure you could sell it here or part it out and make back some money but dumping a whole lot of cash on a car with that milage isn't worth it imo.

I know... I just really don't want to get rid of it.... unless I happen to come across a job that offers me a huge increase in pay, which isn't likely.
If I get rid of it, I just don't think I'd be able to get another one.
Ugh.. what a drag.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Re: Engine blown on 2000 GI - ideas on expense to fix? (AtomicRoach)

Quote, originally posted by AtomicRoach »

I know... I just really don't want to get rid of it.... unless I happen to come across a job that offers me a huge increase in pay, which isn't likely.
If I get rid of it, I just don't think I'd be able to get another one.
Ugh.. what a drag.

how did you pay for it in the first place?

·
Banned
9,489 Posts
Re: (Bora Wolf)

Quote, originally posted by Bora Wolf »

whats this nonsense about needing a new transmission?

the 1.8t won't bolt up to the VR6 trans... so if wanted to swap a 1.8t in, he'd have to also get a 1.8t trans.
Who knows if the shop is tlling you the whole story. I've seen timing chains jump and not take out anything... just put in new chains and retime, and see if it runs. If it doesn't, pull the head off and have some new valves put in it for a couple of hundred $$ at your local machine shop.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Re: (reflexbug)

Quote, originally posted by reflexbug »

the 1.8t won't bolt up to the VR6 trans... so if wanted to swap a 1.8t in, he'd have to also get a 1.8t trans.

Exactly... if I'm not mistaken, the vr6 trans is an O2A and the 1.8t trans is an O2J

·
Banned
9,489 Posts
Re: (TMTuned99.5Golf)

Quote, originally posted by TMTuned99.5Golf »

Exactly... if I'm not mistaken, the vr6 trans is an O2A and the 1.8t trans is an O2J

the O2J is the type of manual 5speeds that came in the MK4's. The 1.8t and VR6 transmissions have different bellhousing bolt patterns http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: (EuroSpec GTI vr6)

Quote, originally posted by EuroSpec GTI vr6 »
rebuild the blown VR and get it ready for a turbo http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

x2.
do it yourself and make some friends in the area. ride your bike or get a moped or something in the meantime - it'll be great incentive to get things done.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Engine blown on 2000 GI - ideas on expense to fix? (Superbleeder)

Quote, originally posted by Superbleeder »
how did you pay for it in the first place?

At the time, I was working full-time doing IT stuff.. so I was making probably twice what I make now.
Since then I left that field to start my own business, which is going ok, but its taking time to build it up. I just dont see getting to the point that it would need to be in order for me to be able to afford another GTI (or R32) for some time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.