VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Engine bolt size for mounting on engine stand 1.8t??

Im picking up another engine for my car tomorrow to build up and need to know what size bolts, thread size and pitch as well as a length suggestion if possible, will be needed to mount it to a stand on the flywheel side. any help would be greatly appreciated asap as im picking it up tomorrow :beer:

· Registered
3,340 Posts
should be 11mmx1.5 mm

· Banned
1,451 Posts
12mm x 1.5 and the length depends on how long the stubs are on the engine stand. but IIRC 80 - 85mm should be plenty.

· Registered
6 Posts
I know this is a very old thread but I came her to find this answer and learned that only the upper bolts on the Bellhousing are 12 X 1.75
OneS on the bottom of the bellhousing are smaller.
still trying to figure out the exact size but I’ll update it here shortly.

· Registered
6 Posts
I know this is a very old thread but I came her to find this answer and learned that only the upper bolts on the Bellhousing are 12 X 1.75
OneS on the bottom of the bellhousing are smaller.
still trying to figure out the exact size but I’ll update it here shortly.
ok so here is the FINAL ANSWER for all the New folks out there trying to mount a 1.8t to an engine stand.
For the top bolts you will need 12x1.75 bolts 80mm long.
for the bottom bolts you will need 10x1.75 bolts 80mm long.

Can’t confirm that these bolts are the same across all 1.8t models and eras but I CAN confirm that it’s true for mk4’s on both AWW and AWP engine codes.
however I would imagine they’re all the same.

· Registered
18 Posts
ok so here is the FINAL ANSWER for all the New folks out there trying to mount a 1.8t to an engine stand.

Can’t confirm that these bolts are the same across all 1.8t models and eras but I CAN confirm that it’s true for mk4’s on both AWW and AWP engine codes.
Thank you for doing this, I plan on rebuilding this weekend and it will help me! 1.8t in a Audi TT 225 Quattro with an AMU engine code. Cheers to you in 2021!

· Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for reminding me so others can be helped, those bolt sizes did not fit my 1.8t AMU code cylinder block. It could be possible that the bolt holes can vary based on the engine code.
At least your engine code seems to be the same as Mustaine's, so it could be the right fit you need.
For my AMU, I literally took the block to a hardware store in a shopping cart. An associate tried many sizes and threads until he found the correct one that fit all 4 holes. I will reply tomorrow with the size for any other AMU code, 1.8t owners.

· Registered
18 Posts
1.8t cylinder block with an AMU engine code supports 4 Identical size bolts, 4 size m12 x 110 - 1.75 Pitch. 6 washers, 2 Nuts. Make sure the bolts are strong enough for the weight. I used 10.9 stamped on the bolt head.
Used 4 of the washers against the head of the bolts and the engine stand prongs, and the other 2 washers between the two bottom prongs and each nut at the end of the bolts because they threaded all the way through the holes. The sizes for AWW and AWP must be different because they did not fit. Advice, thread pitch has to be 1.75. I'm curious if this helped anyone?

· Registered
'91 GLI, '98 Vr6 GTI, '17 Golf R
955 Posts

Gotta love Vortex, only took like 10 years to get the right answer. 😆

· Registered
6 Posts
I finally stopped being lazy and did the work to get the engine off of the tire on the floor of my garage. Called up my local dealer and told them I what bolts I was looking for and they came back with these part numbers:
  • N90916101 superseded by N90916102 which is a M10x50x32 with a 1.5 thread pitch.
  • N90920501 which is a M12x55x38 with a 1.75 thread pitch.

I ordered one of each to check the thread with the engine and a thread pitch gauge. As others have noted in this thread already, they are obviously way too short for the 1 ton stand from harbor freight so I turned to McMaster and ordered some grade 10.9 90mm long bolts along with some washers if needed. Those part numbers are:
  • 91310A139 - M10x1.5mm 90mm long
  • 91310A145 - M12x1.75mm 90mm long

Those bolts have just came in today which means engine tear down will be happening soon and my ridiculous quest for way too much WHP begins.

· Registered
18 Posts
I finally stopped being lazy and did the work to get the engine off of the tire on the floor of my garage. Called up my local dealer and told them I what bolts I was looking for and they came back with these part numbers:
  • N90916101 superseded by N90916102 which is a M10x50x32 with a 1.5 thread pitch.
  • N90920501 which is a M12x55x38 with a 1.75 thread pitch.

I ordered one of each to check the thread with the engine and a thread pitch gauge. As others have noted in this thread already, they are obviously way too short for the 1 ton stand from harbor freight so I turned to McMaster and ordered some grade 10.9 90mm long bolts along with some washers if needed. Those part numbers are:
  • 91310A139 - M10x1.5mm 90mm long
  • 91310A145 - M12x1.75mm 90mm long

Those bolts have just came in today which means engine tear down will be happening soon and my ridiculous quest for way too much WHP begins.
Isn't it amazing how no were else on the internet has this info except for here? I'm blown away. Thanks for not being lazy and putting your info up here lol. Good luck with your build, I'm doing the same right now!

· Registered
12,816 Posts
I know I used trans case bolts to put mine on the stand. Did not measure anything, just found some that fit and sent it. Doug posted the answer we needed tho good stuff bro!

Reactions: MK4doug

· Registered
18 Posts
I know I used trans case bolts to put mine on the stand. Did not measure anything, just found some that fit and sent it. Doug posted the answer we needed tho good stuff bro!
Isn't it amazing how no were else on the internet has this info except for here? I'm blown away. Thanks for not being lazy and putting your info up here lol. Good luck with your build, I'm doing the same right now!
I only had luck with 4- M12 bolts for my AMU engine code. There must be a variation depending on the 1.8t engine. Doug, what is your engine code that fit 2- M10 & 2-M12 for anyone reading this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.