VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Re: Engine detailing (natskiboy)

I've never had a problem with it. Just use a proper engine degreaser, spray with water from the hose, then use some sort of trim cleaner for the plastic bits and mild metal polish (something non acidic) for the metal bits, and a quality tire shine for the rubber hoses. Don't spray on anything except for the degreaser and instead wipe on with a cloth.
As long as you are not spraying it with a pressure washer, you should not have any problems with water penetrating into electrical connections.
A perfect job might require professional assistance, but a very good job can be easily done yourself.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Re: Engine detailing (Froster)

Quote, originally posted by Froster »

As long as you are not spraying it with a pressure washer, you should not have any problems with water penetrating into electrical connections.

Quote, originally posted by ZoomBoy »
Cover up your distributor and electrical bits with a bag or saran-wrap. You should be fine.

All you need to know

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Re: Engine detailing (ZoomBoy)

Quote, originally posted by ZoomBoy »
Cover up your distributor and electrical bits with a bag or saran-wrap. You should be fine.

Very true. If you have a distributor, cover it. In my car the only thing that I put a bag over is the battery and fuse block.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Re: (natskiboy)

Quote, originally posted by natskiboy »
I have a 06 MkV jetta. what do I cover? its all sealed I think

I would just cover the battery box and fuse box, and then remove the air filter, stuff a rag in there, and cover the air box with plastic. If you wanted to be anal about it, you could disconnect the wiring on top of the engine after you took the engine cover off and then bundle that up with plastic over the bundle. I always figure that I'm more likely to break a connector eventually than I am to have electrical issues from them possibly getting wet. Usually, once its clean, I go for a drive so that the heat of the engine can help to make sure that any excess water gets evaporated.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Re: (Froster)

I "cleaned" the engine on my Civic SiR at a coin-wash. I was pretty nervous about doing it, but it came out ok just to get the general grunge off, I'll hand detail it when I have time.
Basically all I did was cover the distributor with a bag. I didn't cover the airbox, plugs, wires, battery, etc. I applied the cleaner from the pressure washer, let it soak in for a minute and then wash it off and I repeated that until my time ran out.
Don't ever power wash the engine bay close up, that's a no-no. When I was doing it, I drove in farther back than normal and stood at least about 5-6 feet away from my bay with the nozzle. Basically I could've washed my face with the power washer it was so gentle by the time it reached the engine bay, I think that's key. Engines are made to get wet by rain, puddles on the highway, etc but you don't want to drive the water into spots where it's not normally supposed to be.
I'd say after you get a general clean going, hand detail it with an old rag or t-shirt and some Simple Green for auto's. Don't get the Simple Green on your hoses or plastics and paint, it'll eat it away over time and weaken the hoses. It's basically just for metal pieces and the engine block.
Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.