VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay first off my knoweldge of cars is limited. so im asking this cause i REALLY NEED TO KNOW. my car is putting out P0300 and P0301 codes which i found mean missfires in cylinder 1 and missfires in mulipile cylinders. what should i be looking for? anything specific?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Re: engine is missfiring. (cracker54)

Does it stall out in the rain? Mist the coilpack at night and if you get a spark show then your coilpack is shot. also bad spark plugs and spark plug wires can do this, or if there loose.
hope this helps,
-Zach

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: engine is missfiring. (vr6dubnut12)

it just started to happen. i was driving around with my dad and then my engine freaked out and started to bog down on me, really about around 2k rpm's also i kept hearing a loud "pop" when i could engage my engine from time to time or as i would accelerate above 3k rpms. so as long as i kept it between 2 and 3k rpms, my car was okay...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

change the plugs and wires... should fix the problem.. maybe!!..
reset the ecu by using an ecu scanner.. (or go to autozone if you dont have one)
give it a few cold start ups and the codes should clear if the problem gets fixed...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: engine is missfiring. (EuroDub09)

just pulled off my coil pack and found a tiny crack in the plastic on the bottom, would this effect it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

is it a bad thing to take the plastic case off my coil pack? is it something you're supposed to do? is it bad?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: engine is missfiring. (mikeone718)

i welded my coil pack, cleared the codes, and it still doing the same crap. gonna try replacing the wire and spark plug tomorrow. hopefully that will fix it.
it seems like the whole engine is bogging down though....it will run okay but then when i rev it up it seems to not want to when im in gear.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts

Check your timing. The timing belt may have jumped a tooth.
Also check the condition of your belt(s) if you can. On a 2.0 it's really easy.
Remove intake tube
Remove upper timing cover.
inspect belt for :
missing teeth
cracks in the rubber
glazing of the belt (it will look shiny)
Also ensure that the belt is on tightly. Try and turn the front part of the belt 90* with your fingers. If it goes easily and can be pushed farther then it is looke.
(Images below Not all timing belts but all damage to belts looks the same)
Missing Teeth:

Abrasion:

Cracking:

Damage:

Glazing:

Modified by MK2SnowPilot at 9:54 AM 8-19-2009

·
Registered
455 Posts

You need to replace the coil pack. I had the same issues. The last thing I changed was the coil pack and it had a crack in it. Once this happens you need to replace. Plastic weld ing will not work!

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Re: engine is missfiring. (Rob94w)

Quote, originally posted by Rob94w »
You need to replace the coil pack. I had the same issues. The last thing I changed was the coil pack and it had a crack in it. Once this happens you need to replace. Plastic weld ing will not work!

X2

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: engine is missfiring. (Dub boy)

yea tested the car with my friends coil pack of his GTI and it ran smooth as a kitten. that and new spark plugs helped. hopefully i can pick up a coil pack at a junk yard for cheap

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Re: engine is missfiring. (Rob94w)

Quote, originally posted by Rob94w »

Work great for my VR coil pack, been running it this way for almost 3k

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Re: engine is missfiring. (schimt)

get a tune up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts