VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke the car in at over 1K miles basically on the way to the track (same as I did with the STI, same track as well) and had a great day at Grattan Raceway in MI yesterday.

The car ran like champ, handled extremely well and was a lot faster than you would think coming from a street perspective. I made some great laps, passed other cars (with much more hp) and it performed very well in the rain.

My only issue was it seemed like the engine was louder during the day and has since stayed the same. It's almost like an engine knock sound, which our Tribeca does (and I understand its normal). I even filled up the GTI with another tank of gas to see if it was just bad gas, but still sounds the same. Am I overthinking this or do the GTI's get louder with time/use or perhaps I have an issue??

Thanks for any info/feedback,

John

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input. Does it get louder after break-in?? or maybe I just didn't notice it before and I was overthinking things at the track. Either way, this car is INCREDIBLE and did a great job out there :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Here open and print a copy of this study manual.... http://www.arinahnell.com/other/vw/tech/20tsi.pdf on the new 2.0TSI and refer to page 25. The new type *Fine Oil Separator* located under the engine cover makes a very loud *clicking* noise. This is possibly what you are hearing..... engine knock can be serious but is not the same as piston slap. Is it detonation? Or is it a loud *knock-knock-knock* at idle or when revved up? Is it the valves ticking? Can you be more specific?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a constant fast ticking at idle.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, I guess I just never noticed it before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts