VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted before about this. My engine would make an occasionnal knocking noise while accelerating hard. Since then it has been getting gradually louder. Now its unmistakable and it only occurs when the engine is warm. I get it between the 3000 and 4000 range, only when I am accelerating hard.
Has anyone had this problem ? I am not getting any CEL. When I rev the engine in neutral, I do not get the sound. Only mod is PFLOW. When I had my Chip in (I can take it out cuz mine is a socket), the sound was a lot more prominent.
I really need to know what this is. The dealership told me to bring it in so they can find out whats the problem and get an estimate. I would rather know what you guys think so I can steer a local VW mechanic to the problem and avoid a 800$ Bill.
I really hope its not my crank that is going...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Engine making a knocking noise (SleepyJoe)

The knocking by the way is pretty rapid, its almost a low pitched rattle...Really sorry guys, I do`'t know how to describe as it is

·
Registered
8,608 Posts

Without hearing it in person, I think it could be a number of things.
Hopefully it's not the engine pining. What grade gas do you use with the chip?
If you have really high mileage, maybe the rod bearings are getting too worn down and you have excessive play. You could have a mechanic check the oil pressure. If the pressure is too low you may be losing oil from the crank. (Internally, oil goes back into oil pan, not on the floor).
If it's more like a ticking sound, you may have a cracked lifter.
Maybe a bend valve.
Again, it's hard to tell without hearing it.
Good luck!

[Modified by Agtronic, 11:00 PM 3-17-2003]

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Engine making a knocking noise (Agtronic)

The chip isn'T installed, I have 122 000 km, its not a ticking sound, its more of a toc... Anyhow, it seems to only become evident when I really push the car, like full throttle, but I don't bring it up to the limiter very time I shift. I only go to 5500 where after it is useless anyways, cuz I ain't cammed.

·
Registered
21,252 Posts

Don't know if this helps, but here is a little story
I had this 84 mustang (OHV I-4). One day, it started making a clanking noise under the valve cover at about 75mph. Sounded like a little monkey was hitting the inside of my head with a little hammer. Gradually the sound went to 65, then 55, then it made the noise all the time. One morning, while on my way to the airport, the engine made the horrendous CLANK noise, followed by a WHOOSH sound. I looked in my rear-view mirror to see nothing my white smoke. It looked like a James Bond chase scene, only with out the Aston Martin!
Anyways, turns out, a valve shot through my head and punctured it releasing water into the crank case which spun my crank bearings...all in a 5 minutes time. Engine was toast, needless to say.
Moral of the story: Poor oil to the head = a blown motor.
Hope this helps....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts