VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an '80 Caddy that was supposed to have a 1.8L GTI engine in it.. but I have no way of knowing what engine is really in there. Anyone have a good place for me to get the engine number decoded?
I tried a google search and got back over 2 million hits
.. That's clearly not gonna work (nothing on the first 6 pages was what I needed).
It's not running at the moment (runs but won't idle) and appears to be missing some vaccume lines and the like. From one of the lines in the engine compartment, I'd guess it used to be a diesel (I'll run the VIN and find out). As things change, some times rapidly, now I won't be needing the truck, but want to make sure I know what engine is in it when I try to sell it.
Thanks for any help

block number -> 026103373F
intake upper --> N 1 1179
intake lower ---> 049 133223E

· Registered
7,605 Posts
caddys never had a gti motor, if it has a gti motor, then on the back side of the block, towards the tranny is a machined spot with engine codes, if it is a gti engine the first 2 letters should be jh

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Engine numbers? (Savantster)

bah..
after removing head from ass.. I see that the above number is a head number.. not the block number. The block number seems to be down behind the distributor and is covered in grease.
I'll have to go try to get that cleaned up a tad and see if I can get the actual block number too..

· Registered
8,845 Posts

Actually, the block engine code (which is NOT on head) is above the distributor, at top of block, on front. In between cylinder 3 and four. it should say the first two letters, then a production serial number. such as "JH123456" or "EN123456".
You can tell if head is hydraulic or solid by taking valve cover off. Large valve heads have different water neck. post a picture of engine. That may help. JH was only 1.8 available on mk1's in US.

· Registered
8,845 Posts
Re: Engine numbers? (fast84gti)

I am showing there being a JH motor avaiable for the caddy... According to ETKA. it may not be called a "gti" motor, but then again, it was available on a scirocco and cabby in 83 and 84... And they are NOT gti's

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Engine numbers? (fast84gti)

I'll get a pic of the motor..
I know it's not a stock "1.8 gti" in there, the motor was replaced at some point, and I was told it was with a 1.8 GTI motor.. not sure if that's true or not.
I'll have to go back and look near the distributor again.. all I saw behind there was GERMANY .. lol
I did find a number on front, left side.. 026103021 ... that doesn't seem to help much.. I didn't find anything on the back of the motor (other than a lot of slime and grease.. I'm pretty sure it's a trashed motor no matter what, and oil is leaking out of the intake box/injector pump area.. I'd say trashed in any event).

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Not sure if that will help.. but hey.
And, now it needs a new radiator, or this one repaired... lol.. the overflow hose broke and while I was trying to get the bit off the tube on the rad, the tube broke at the rad where it's mounted..

· Registered
2,200 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Savantster »

Where the head and the block meet, there is a number stamped just below there on the block, under a tab that sticks out of the headgasket. It is just under and to the left(passenger side) of the coolant outlet on the head. Clean off the number and look at it, if it starts with "JH" then it's a Rabbit GTI motor. It's that simple.
-Rob

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Engine numbers? (robw_z)

Thanks for the "detailed location".. I found it and cleaned it (not much junk on that spot, but more than enough to obscure the stamp versus cast numbers, so I had missed it when looking).
It is, in fact, the gti motor (JH 011 360 is what's stamped in there).
Thanks for all the help guys!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Engine numbers? (stratosfear90)

Quote, originally posted by stratosfear90 »
not to jack the thread, but how much are you selling the caddy for, u got any exterior pics? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Send me an email and we'll chat. I'm not sure this is an appropriate place for me to be selling a vehicle.
raysjunkmail at adelphia dot net

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.